Forums

Restart Postgres database?

Hi,

I managed to crash my Postgres database (hosted on PythonAnywhere) and I can no longer access it.

Every time I try to start a Postgres console, I get the following error

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "..." and accepting TCP/IP connections on port ****?

Is it possible to restart it myself or does it need a staff member to do it? If the latter, can someone please help?

Thank you!

Ok. I have re-activated your postgres database. Do you remember what you did to crash it?

Hi glenn,

thank for restarting the server. I assume that if this happens again, I can't restart it myself.

It crashed while I was trying to upload some data into the database via psql. It would appear that I used up all my storage (2GB at the time). I have since upgraded the available storage to 6GB and I hope I will be able to upload the data without a problem this time. I hope this was the problem and not something else :)

Thank you!

Thanks for the information. It could have been that.

This happened to my Postgres server as well. I don’t see any way to open a ticket or restart the server. I already sent an email to support@golfsmartacademy.com 8 hours ago but the server is still down please advise. Thanks.

I see that the email you sent to support@pythonanywhere.com has been handled now -- your server is up and running now.

hi i having now same issue

No problem. I have restarted your Postgres server for you.

Could I also have my postgres server restarted? same issue, I exceeded my posgre storage, then keep getting this error. i have since upgraded my account, would appreciate if the server could be restarted.

Hello I would also like a reset to my Mysql server, if possible. Thank you

@Bugy What do you mean by that and what problem do you want to solve that way?

I had a bug in the code that kept creating new connections. Now I can't connect to the SQL server anymore as the connections don't seem to timeout

OK -- there were a few inactive connections associated with your account on the server, so I've killed them.

hello

is there any way to get service faster ?

i am a paid user, my postgres service is not working some table.

I tried to truncate one table which is not loading. please help me to get rid of this issue or else i have to forcefully shift my app to somewhere with another provided. because here i can't found any direct contact for issue

I believe we already replied you via email -- let's continue our conversation there.

same here my server not working

Hey eyeclinic, I've restarted your database. Have a good one

I have same issue

@ziadsindion I've restarted your postgres instance.

hey, the same problem! can you help me?

@Azamatov You do not have postgres.

I have the same issue, postgres database was close to full and now doesn't work after I increased the size. Could you please restart my postgres instance? Also is it possible to have an option to restart it ourselves? thanks

Sure, no problem! That's done now.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have worked. If I open a postgres terminal I get the error message: sql: error: connection to server at "*", port 13195 failed: Connection refused Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

Ok. I have restarted your Postgres server and it appears to be running.

thanks it is running now

Glad to hear that!

hello i am having similar postgres issue. postgres not connecting

@ChrisOnly postgres is a paid feature on PythonAnywhere, so I guess you're trying to connect to an external instance, but free accounts have restricted internet access, so that would not work.

Please could you restart my postgres server - I managed to fill up the database again. Is it possible to be able to restart it ourselves when we increase the db size? thanks

Increase the db size and send us email. We will reboot. There is no user accessible interface to do that.

Please help, restarting my postgres server, It may have crashed after I reached the limit 2 GB now I added the space but can't connect with an error

psql: error: connection to server at ".......", port .... failed: Connection refused Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

i have been requesting for a db server restart for over 8hours to no avail. Please i beg of you someone should respond!!!!

please we are bleeding here profusely!!!

Your server is back up and running now

finaly! Thank you. But is there a way for one to get speedy action when issues like this happen. I mean we run a critical service and delays like leads to heavy losses on our end

Your issue, unfortunately, coincided with a major outage and a deploy that we had to pull forward to fix it, so the long delay is not "business as usual"

Seems like my postgres instance crashed. Can you please restart it? Thank you.

Our postgres access is unavailable too, and that's brought down all of our web apps. Please someone from PythonAnywhere acknowledge that you're even aware of the problem.

Based on the error logs, it looks like the issue started on my instances at around 15:17 PST. I believe their team is based in the UK (GMT +1) so they are likely sleeping right now since it's 01:14. From previous posts, it looks like they are the only ones that can restart postgres servers. I really hope someone on their team can resolve this issue before their morning...

Same problem, I tried to contact me and they haven't responded for more than 2 hours, and im realy scared

@carlossantoyo - I'm sure they will take care of it in the morning. I understand how you're feeling. I'm not running a high volume site but it's still very bad for the users and business when my site is down for like what will probably be 17 hours or so. I'm sure PythonAnywhere runs a pretty lean operation which allows them to give us really good pricing. But I hope this time their team realizes that this is not a one off issue and either hire someone to be on call or implement some functionality in the admin panel so we can restart postgres. There are probably technical reasons for the latter not being implemented yet though.

Anyone have an update about this? Im having the same issue for 8 hours, no access to my website, this is frustrating.

Sorry about that! There was a hardware issue on one of our postgres servers. We're improving our alerting system so this doesn't go unnoticed next time.

Hi team,

I appear to be running into the same issue with the below error popping up when trying to start a postgres console.

psql: error: could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "10.0.0.174" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 12367?

Console closed.

Believe it was caused by running out of space on my postgres plan. Have upgraded now to add more space. If you could restart for me that would be greatly appreciated.

@timrnld It's done for you.

Please, restart the server for me as well asap, because it's down. Thanks!

Same problem! Fix your issue ASAP

I think you should probably give the ability to restart the server to users from admin pannel

Same issue

We had problem with one of our machines running postgres. Sorry for that. It should be fine now.

Hi, I just upgraded the size of my postgres server, could you help to restart it please?

@tangbj It's done for you.

@fjl Thank you for you reply. However, I'm still getting an error after I refreshed my webapp - is there something I need to do on my end?

2024-04-04 16:04:06,318: Error running WSGI application
2024-04-04 16:04:06,333: django.db.utils.OperationalError: could not connect to server: Connection refused
2024-04-04 16:04:06,334: #011Is the server running on host "tangbj-471.postgres.pythonanywhere-services.com" (10.0.0.216) and accepting
2024-04-04 16:04:06,334: #011TCP/IP connections on port 10471?

Could you try again now?

It works now, thank you very much

Excellent, thanks for confirming!