Forums

Recover lost file

I just deleted an important databse file by mistake from the web gui. How do i restore?

There's no such thing as undelete in Linux I'm afraid!

If you're desperate, we may be able to load the file from yesterday's backups? It'll take a few hours, so you may find it quicker to just re-create the contents...

@harry

You would save my life if you do it! The file's name was users.db and it was /home/zerop/api/db

It contained all the users credentials and now the whole site is down!

EDIT: I am seeing the name of my file in the folder now, with an "edit" option with it. Although I cannot download it, its still inaccessible. The size is 0 bytes

OK you should find a file in your db folder called users.db.restore. Check if that has the correct contents?

Thank you very much! This is why I like PA!

Hi

I accidently deleted a file named saved_recipes.html from my folder /home/flavorshare/mysite/templates. It would really be great if you can help me with this.

Thanks, Anshika

Hi Anshika,

We're only experimenting with the backup service at this stage, and we're not sure it's something we can support sustainably. It's almost definitely something that's going to be available to paying users only. And it's also going to stay a very manual process, so we're unlikely to be able to promise anything better than a 3-day turnaround.

I'm sure we can do this favour for you this once though. We're scheduled to do some backups work on Friday, so we can dig up the old version of your file then, if you like?

Hi Harry

Thanks a lot. Yes it would be really helpful if you can get me the file by Friday.

Thanks and Regards Anshika

okey dokey.

In the meantime, I hope you're investigating a solution for backups! I'd recommend adding your code to a source code control system like git or mercurial, and then doing regular pushes to somewhere like bitbucket or github.

@harry

Thank you so much. I can see the file in my templates folder. Meanwhile I am regularly backing up contents on github

Regards Anshika

ok, you'll find the restored file in your mysite/templates folder. I can't believe you made me go through all that for a file that was only 35 lines long!

:)

Hello! I just removed my database file by mistake. Is there way to retrieve it?

No, we don't generally to point-in-time recoveries for users.

Hello, I accidentally overwritten the file. How can i restore file "AndroidTest/data_accounts_all.txt" to condition on 23.04.2018?

Hi there -- I see you emailed us about this too, so we can continue the discussion over email

Help!!! I accidentally delete all the information in one of my tables, is there anyway that it can be restored!!!

Help! I need to restore file /home/Fedor/FedorAPI/base.db to state at 1 July 2018. How do I do that?

Hi there -- for file recovery questions, please email us at support@pythonanywhere.com

Hello, I have an unresolved issue on recovering the mistakenly deleted files. What can be done?

Hi there, I believe that we are corresponding over email.

Hie, I overwrote the main file when I deleted the recent app and tried to create a new one with a different python version... Is there any way to undo this please I don't want to restart from scratch. (-_-)

Write an email to the support please, with the detailed information about your problem.

You should add an interface that lets us restore these backups ourselves

Thanks. That means I will be undoing msql table. Please teach me how to go about it.

That was just a feature request

@dull thanks for the suggestion- we have added that to our feature tracker.

@iinora I'm not sure what you mean?

I accidentally deleted a project for my coding class in school, it is due in two days, and it would save my life if you could find a backup from earlier today, or Friday.

That sucks if you aren't done with the project. You will have to wait until it's work time in their time zone and up to 24 more hours for the backup to restore

Just to be clear, we do not offer backups as a service to our users, but if you email us, we may be able to work out something for you on a case by case basis.

Please and please i mistakenly deleted a very important folder, located at /home/Learn/pharst/business/templates/business/pages

I will be very grateful if you can help me restore it, I have sent a mail to support but gave received no feedback yet.

Thank you.

We will deal with that over email.

Thank you, I have sent your a mail. I did that yesterday, it is urgent so I will really appreciate it if you can help as soon as possible

Thank you, I have sent you a mail. I did that yesterday, it is urgent so I will really appreciate it if you can help as soon as possible

Please Help! we were testing our server, during which we modified our flask_app.py file, but lost some important code from it, which we have no backup off. Is it somehow possible to restore it? if so please do it for files from 1-2 days earlier. Thanks it's path is - > /home/ShopAwesome/mysite/flask_app.py

We will deal with that over email. Send us details on support@pythonanywhere.com That's not what we normally do but we will see what can be done for you.

Hi team

Between 1AM ISt to 2AM IST the coveidServer.py file which was the main file got updated with different code accidentally where a ma unable to find the code which is needed to run the applciation, can anyone help me please as I am new and struggling to run my application

please help

i also mailed to support@pythonanywhere.com

Please help recovering old file

OK -- we'll reply to the email you sent.

I accidentally deleted my files containing the database about 10 mins before this message, please can anyone help me with this .

@SuhaanChetanFenilPBL email support@pythonanywhere.com with more details.

Hello, I accidentally deleted a very important database, is it possible to restore it? It happened literally 5-10 minutes ago

I believe we already replied you via email -- let's continue our conversation there.

Hello, I can see all my files through console, but when I open the "Files" page on your site, I can see and edit only the ".local/" folder. Can you help me?

I think there was a brief glitch at around 2pm UTC where some people could not see their files in the "Files" section of the website, but it should all have been fixed very shortly after you posted your message. Can you see them now?

Hi Team, While creating a new Web App with Flask the old flask_app file in the same directory got overwritten on the 2nd of Jan. Could you please help me out with this issue? I have also sent a mail to support@pythonanywhere.com. Please help me recover the file data. Thanks, Kirit Abraham

@cbunge3 We will deal with that over email.

Hello I have a problem, I downloaded my db. file to make some modifications, after making them I deleted the original file and uploaded this last one already modified but it turns out that a lot of information was lost I don't know why and now I want to recover the old file that I had today before downloading it, could you please help me it has a lot of important information.the name is guardiaA.db

We are already discussing this via email, so we'll continue there.