Forums

First Time with PA & Pip

I'm attempting to use django-taggit in my project. I've run pip and copied the files to my project's directory. Once I try syncdb I receive this output:

Traceback (most recent call last):  File "manage.py", line 10, in <module> execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)

File     "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 429, in execute_from_command_line utility.execute()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 379, in execute self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 191, in run_from_argv self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 219, in execute self.validate()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 249, in validate num_errors = get_validation_errors(s, app)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/core/management/validation.py", line 35, in get_validation_errors for (app_name, error) in get_app_errors().items():

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/db/models/loading.py", line 146, in get_app_errors self._populate()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/db/models/loading.py", line 64, in _populate self.load_app(app_name)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/db/models/loading.py", line 78, in load_app models = import_module('.models', app_name)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/utils/importlib.py", line 35, in import_module __import__(name)

File "/home/indigochild/AuditShopper/AuditShopper/taggit/models.py", line 7, in <module> from django.utils.encoding import python_2_unicode_compatible

ImportError: cannot import name python_2_unicode_compatible

My project uses Python 3.3. I used pip3.3 to install this. But my understanding from this output is that something is attempting to use the Python 2.7 site packages (where I have an older version of taggit sitting).

Am I understanding the problem right?

[edit by admin: formatting]

Agreed, that definitely looks like it's using Python 2.7. How are you running it? Is that stack trace from the web app's error log, or from a Bash console? If it's the latter, remember that you need to use the python3.3 command to run it, not just python -- the latter is always Python 2.7.

Thanks, Giles. python3.3 is exactly what I needed.

Excellent, thanks for confirming!