web2py versioning with mercurial

I have a working mercurial repository for my web2py app, created from the command line with "hg"

In the web2py control panel the "versioning" button returns the error message:

Sorry, could not find mercurial installed

The web2py book says to use easy_install mercurial, but it's already installed, so why doesn't it find it?

Could this be a Python version issue? We only have mercurial installed for Python 2.6 at the moment. It needs compilation as well so can't be installed --user. Though I would have thought that Web2py would be running under 2.6 by default. Looks like something I'll need to investigate today.

I think that the problem is the mercurial version, which seems 1.6 and should be at least 1.9 (see also

That's because we install it from the Debian repo and it's really old. We'll switch to using a pip install soon. In the meantime, perhaps you could try

pip install -U --user mercurial

You may also need to set the path in your webapp to include directory that hg is in.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work - pip always gives the error:

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/usr/share/pyshared/mercurial-1.6.4.egg-info'

so, it wants to upgrade the main package ignoring the --user option ;-((

Hi there, usually you can use easy_install --upgrade --user, but in this case mercurial does need gcc, so we'll have to do it at our end.

We should be able to get it in pretty soon though - maybe some time next week. Will keep you posted.

Perfect, thank you.

BTW, I've also noted that in order to use the web2py feature "Upload and install packed application" from a Github repository you need the package gitpython. But this time I've succesfully installed it in user space with:

pip install --user gitpython

and it works fine. For example you can now import as an application the current official web2py book from with few mouse click.

Thanks! That's useful to know.

Just a note to say that we've now upgraded to the latest version of mercurial:

14:24 ~ $ hg --version                                                                                                                                      
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 2.3.1)

We're looking into gitpython too, that should be in soon.

@nicozanf - gitpython is now installed as standard. thanks for the suggestion!