Forums

sync issue during web2py online development

Folks, I am seeing some sort of file sync issue with web2py, where during some requests, occasionally an older (by a few minutes) version of a module is pulled in and causes an error. Example, this ticket:

https://theotherplanb.pythonanywhere.com/admin/default/ticket/starnuts/24.115.11.132.2014-11-15.04-27-01.fbf84ad3-85a1-4966-b10e-8a79a9eb7612

I had put "xyzzy" in the code to test, then removed it and run a few successful requests, then suddenly "xyzzy" was back in the code that was executed -- although the file had been saved without it a few minutes prior.

Hm. Our filesystem runs over NFS, and that can have occasional small glitches, where a file doesn't actually get written to disk for a few seconds... Could that explain it? It's only ever a few seconds though, not a matter of minutes...

Hi Harry, I don't think so, because it definitely was more on the order of a minute or two, and the request was processed successfully a few times in between. It seemed as if the request was being routed to different servers each time, and one of them was not seeing the update or was picking up a cached copy of the old code, or something like that.

That's baffling then. Is it worth asking on the web2py mailing list?