Forums

SSL certificate with own domain.

Recently I purchased my own domain with Godaddy to use with my web apps.

I understand that pythonanywhere has its own ssl certificates but does this transfer to our domains as well? When I use https://www.own.domain I get a warning that the certificate does not match the server url. Which is understandable.

Have I missed something when setting up my own domain? or will I have to purchased the ssl package with godaddy in order for there to be no errors when accessing the secure version of my apps.

You will need your own SSL certificate for your domain. There are instructions here

Hi guys i have just upgraded my account and now i have linked my own domain,

I noticed that when i just had the basic and free account the SSL certificate was automatically added, Now that i have my own domain linked i don't have this ssl certificate anymore and now i see that i have to purchase it by my own and that's fine but in the meantime we want to start only testing our SSL calls to the API without having to actually purchase it.

We are planning to do the following:

Unlink the custom domain from our account so we can get the auto generated SSL certificate that Pythonanywhere provides (but in this process i don't want to missconfigure all the setting that we already have). once we are done with this part we would like to link again our custom domain.

Is there an alternate way of doing this or maybe another option that i can take so i can start testing SSL calls without having to purchase the certificate (obviously i will at a later time but not now) keep in mind that i have already linked my own domain and in order to do that i am planning to unlink it temporary so i can get the SSL certificate that PA already provides,

Does this look like a good approach or is there any other way of doing this?.

Any suggestions, comments or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can just change the name of your web app to flink.pythonanywhere.com and then you'll be using the PythonAnywhere cert again. You shouldn't need to change any other config (except maybe ALLOWED_HOSTS, if you're using Django)