Forums

PHPMyAdmin installation in PythonAnywhere

Can I install phpMyAdmin in pythonanywhere and make my database file(xyz.sql) which is in pythonanywhere server to open in phpMyAdmin..?????

No. We don't support phpMyAdmin and we have no plans to do so.

You could develop a simple way to create and visualize tables, it would be really useful.

So if in case I want to access and perform update/insert operations on DB without commands(like in phpmyadmin for mySQL), how i can achieve.??

@likegift -- we find that using an ORM like Django's, or SQLAlchemy, makes it easy enough to work with a database using Python, so we don't really ever miss having a GUI for a database... Django also give you the admin UI, of course...

I sure miss PHPMyAdmin ... it's one of those things that one gets to know well and easily design/adjust the database on the fly. I really wish you's think again about it; Maybe I am wrong but I can't see that it would be all that hard to do.

It's not hard, it's just not something that we want to do, or see any need to.

A great alternative to PHPMyAdmin turns out to be https://dbeaver.jkiss.org/. Very intuitive, fast and easy with SSH as well, and simple/useful for persons like me who conceptualise/design & build all at once ... no longer miss PHPMyAdmin. SQL Workbench is another viable tool but for my liking I'll take DBeaver any day.

That looks pretty nifty! It should work well with PythonAnywhere if you do SSH tunnelling -- have you got it working?

Yes .. easy; I use the SSH tunnelling and I used used your post on topic [MySQL Workbench] for proper addressing: here Of course the thing is with SSH tunnelling is that everything must be exactly right.

Yup, that's very true -- it can be particularly persnickety about very minor details...

I thought we were all hardcore here and only used consoles...

Ummmmm I'm not hardcore at all! and don't try to be. Python, python modules and web apps make a wonderful tools for scientific discovery in related fields. I'm thankful for the software tools here (and everywhere) but keeping it simple affords me the time to focus on the application.

Just a joke

np ... and my God I wish I had a developers brain.

:D

Please support PHPMyAdmin regardless of your opinions. Give the people what they want and they will come and spend money.

It's not a matter of our opinions, it's a matter of where we choose to spend our limited time. We cannot support everything, so we have to make choices about what we do.

I support not supporting PHPMyAdmin, not even adminer (which is superior to the former in every aspect) simply because this is a Python related service and not PHP

Bad choice...spend time where people pay for. You lose a client, bye

RIDICULOUS REASON YOU GOT THERE GLENN.

I relied 100% on PHPMyAdmin before I came here. My knowledge of MySQL has probably gone up 100 fold in a few months since I started using the command line. I'm finding now that I can write queries in my Python scripts much quicker because I understand what I'm doing rather than just copying and pasting code all the time.

I support not having PHPMyAdmin, however will be cool to have a tutorial of how to a connection with dbeaver :)

I believe you should be able to connect your PythonAnywhere MySQL database using a local dbeaver program over ssh tunnelling, have you tried doing that?

Hi Conrad, yeah I tried but I havent been able too I keep getting too many auth failure (cannot establish tunnel) or error socket is not establish (cannot establish tunnel) this is why I was saying it will be nice to have in the same link as Accessing your MySQL database from outside PythonAnywhere post a little tutorial (1 or 2 images) of the key aspescts that needs to be filled in order to have it running, as I have been trying for a while. is just a suggestion, thanks

Could you perhaps post a screenshot of what settings you've done to try to get it working? (Of course, you should blank out any private information like passwords if it shows them in the UI.)

It finally worked for me, I am not sure if it was after i upgrade it to version 6.3 or I notice that, it could be just in my machine, each time I add the information in ssh tab, my general tab the server host was always changing from yourusername.mysql.pythonanywhere-services.com to localhost but because I was on SSH tab I was not able to see that the field was changed.

Anyway I am adding a picture of my steps, hopefully it helps someone else enter image description here

I'm totally new to this so please can anyone help me with maybe a link to where I can get a simple tutorial on how to set up dbeaver on my pythonanywhere database I just started so I haven't done anything database before on this platform and I'm already very used to the GUI of phpmyadmin......HELLLLLP!!!

You will not be able to use DBeaver with a Free account. Connecting from outside of PythonAnywhere requires SSH access (https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/AccessingMySQLFromOutsidePythonAnywhere/) and that is not available to free accounts.

If It helps, pythonanywhere works just fine with SQL workbench, a desktop application, if you need a way to interact with Mysql using a GUI.

@Robotrodeo -- thanks for sharing! The important bit to remember about is, however, that to be able to connect with PA MySQL instance, one needs a paid account, since it requires an SSH tunneling.

Hellow, please how can i use phpmyadmin here in pythonanywhere cause i have no idea with the consol

I don't think PHPMyAdmin would work on PA as it's a headless environment. If you'd like to use it locally and connect with your PA MySQL database, you'd need a paid account -- see this help page.

+1 for an internal version of phpmyadmin, could be call pMyAdmin ;)

Thanks for the suggestion but it is not going to happen soon.