Forums

CNAME not working

Sorry for the multiple posts...

I've waited 24 hours for DNS to resolve, however I still get this page (unconfigured domain) when trying to access my non-PythonAnywhere subdomain app, grahamd.net. A DNS lookup successfully points to my subdomain on PythonAnywhere. The rendering of my subdomain works as well and should be mirrored to the custom domain name. Lastly, I believe I have correctly followed the instructions on the OwnDomains wiki page.

Do you guys have any hints?

Thanks!

It looks like you've set up the DNS for grahamd.net correctly, but your web app is configured with the domain www.grahamd.net. The www makes a difference.

If you want to serve it with the www then you just need to set up the DNS for that. If you want to serve it without, then you'll need to add a new web app on the "Web" tab without the www. To make it serve the same app as the existing one, check out these instructions.

Thank you; all working now!

Hi! I have a similar problem and I can't work it out on my own. At first I had the domain set without the "www" but I have changed it now and a CNAME lookup says it is pointing to the right place.

Cheers! (Didn't think it was worth opening a new thread)

I see a "Hello world" at your custom domain. So everything looks fine. Could it be that you were just not patient enough with the DNS propagation (that can sometimes take hours depending on the domain config)?

I am still not seeing it. Cleared my cache about 10 mins ago. I'll try again.

Nope, still not getting it. I am leaving the office now I will try again from home.

Thanks for getting back to me.

(And not impatient since I made the changes yesterday and waited till today.)

Hhhmm. An nslookup shows that your DNS settings are correct and the DNS propagation checker shows that it's correct across the world, so I'm not sure what's going on. A hosts files entry on your local machine? What do you get when you do an nslookup on your machine?

It is working here, at home, it must be something to do with the set-up at work. I will check again in the morning before I change anything there. Thanks!

Very weird. It still doesn't work from the office for some reason. I get the message that the DNS look-up failed. I have flushed the DNS and tried with various browsers.

We don't have any blocks on our traffic in the office whatsoever (there are only 2 of us here).

Thanks for the help anyway!

That's really weird! Maybe your office ISP is just keeping a DNS cache of some kind -- what's the TTL on your domain?

TTL is 1800 but our internet went down about 30 mins ago and I can now access the site. I think it has to be with the ISP.

Sounds right. I'm glad it's working now, anyway!

I'm experiencing a similar issue, I issued my CNAME last night but I am only getting the default "Coming Soon!" populating when you navigate to my subdomain.

I've verified the lookup with the CNAME tool looked in the instructions and it is correct, I have my subdomain volunteers.chicagopyladies.com pointed at chicagopyladies.pythonanywhere.com.

Thoughts?

Looks like it's working ok, to me. Could this be a browser caching issue? try shift+reload?

Really sorry if it is duplicate. I posted a while ago and tried to update, but I do not see it anymore in the comments list. Just in case it did not get saved.

I have a similar problem with my custom domain name.

In the Web app tab I set the domain to www.stdominfoservices.com, I bought this domain name from hostinger. The cname webapp-436398.pythonanywhere.com settings there looks correct.

Testing with the lookup tool return successful result, but in the Web Tab I am still getting the error "There is a problem with your domain name configuration.....".

In the bash console, the command

host www.stdominfoservices

returns www.stdominfoservices.com is an alias for stdominfoservices.com stdominfoservices.com has address ....

Any thoughts on what could be issue here. Thanks

Right, it certainly looks like right now you have a CNAME going from www.stdominfoservices.com to stdominfoservices.com rather than to webapp-436398.pythonanywhere.com.

Could you send us a screenshot of the DNS setup page from Hostinger showing how you've set up the CNAME? You can email it to us at support@pythonanywhere.com.

Thanks for the reply. I just sent an email to support@pythonanywhere.com with the screenshot attached.

Got it, thanks! Have replied.

Hi, I created a subdomain in GoDaddy and made it point to my pythonanywhere app CNAME, but still not working, instead, it is taking me to the main domain website, any hints?

Have a look at our DNS troubleshooting guide

The problem is fixed, something was wrong in my GoDaddy settings, thank you.

Glad to see that you sorted it.

Please can you help me. I have a payment plan. Because I have to reload www.tiendawebmas.com for the page to work, I already have all the CNAME configurations

That looks like you have the CNAME working, but your app is returning an error. Check your error and server logs for tracebacks that you can use to start debugging it.