Forums

upgrading older Python versions

I'm a new customer and chose Python 2.7 for my first app. Once I SSH'd in I noticed the full version is 2.7.5+ as opposed to 2.7.8 (latest). I also noticed PyPy is available (sweet!) but is also behind latest (2.2.1 vs. 2.4.0). I'm sure this is work-in-progress already but just wanted to add my vote for these latest releases.

In the meantime, it's not possible to use a different Python version from the ones available, right?

Thanks for putting up with all my votes and questions. :)

P.S. What's the + mean in 2.7.5+?

We generally try to keep up with the Python packages that are available for Ubuntu (when there are packages), but the process of updating is, at the moment, quite long so we sometimes fall behind for a bit. We're planning a pretty big update fairly soon. It means that the next deploy will probably not have updated Pythons, but the one after that may.

As to using a different version, you might be able to compile Python for yourself in your own account, but I suspect that would be a pretty difficult task and I don't actually know whether it would work or not.

I really don't know what the + means. It a wild guess, perhaps it's to indicate that the Ubuntu packaged Python 2.7.5 has some Ubuntu-specific patches.

Thanks for the info, Glenn. I'll keep an eye on http://blog.pythonanywhere.com for updates.