Forums

Is there a way to change default interpreter?

I write in 3.2 and I would like to be able to run my apps in 3.2 instead of 2.7 which causes annoying syntax errors...

Unfortunately no, but it's on our list. There are workarounds, though -- is this for web applications or for the "Save and run" button in the editor?

What would be the workaround for using the 3.2 interpreter via "Save and run"? I am having the same issue and deleting and recreating the default "python" symlink from the bash shell was of course an instant slap on the wrist...

Thanks

The easiest way to use Python 3.2 is to start a 3.2 console in a new browser tab from the Dashboard and then import your file. When you make changes, you can then switch to your console tab and type

reload(module_name)

...where module_name doesn't have the ".py" extension at the end.

This isn't ideal, of course. For scheduled tasks we handle "hashbang" headers in script files, and we should support that for the Save and Run button as well -- and also we should have something in the "Account" page where people can set their preferred Python version for the button. I'll raise the priority on getting both of those done, because it's a pretty obvious omission on our part!

Ok I will give that method a try in the meantime. Thank you for the info and the bump in priority.

is there any progress? its now 2015!

Yep. You can use hashbangs to set the python version for the save & run button.