Forums

Cannot do responsive web setting after using godaddy's domain to replace my pythonanywhere address

1. I use flask to create a webapp on pythonanywhere
  2. I succeeded in using a mask domain to cover my pythonanywhere.com address, however, when i use mobile phone to open the domain address, the responsive web function seems failure.

is there any way to solve this problem? thanks

I think that's happening because you're using a masked redirect -- that puts your site inside an iframe, and the responsive framework doesn't know the size of the screen.

As you have a paid account, you can use a proper custom domain without a masked redirect, and that should solve the problem. This help page has the details.

this reminds me, I have an old unused GoDaddy domain - is it possible to use this on PAnywhere at the same time as the one that comes with this site - ie. can you have 2 domains running here at the same time?

Yes that's possible. Do you mean you want to have both of them point to the same site? Or just have two different webapps with two domains?

I guess two completely separate apps/sites would be ideal

can that be done on the 'hacker' deal?

The default options for hacker account only provide one web app, but you can have 2 web apps on it for an additional $2/month. Also, you only get one free username.pythonanywhere.com domain per account

so two apps, and two domains?

ie. one python anywhere name and one GDaddy name?

Yes, @MadMartin, you can continue to use the pythonanywhere domain on a paid account, but you do not need to. If you upgrade to an account that supports 2 web apps, you can have both be on a custom domain, if you like. Also, we have a feature that's not well documented where you can create your web app with a domain name like blah-madmartin.pythonanywhere.com, (you can use whatever you like instead of blah), so you can use 2 pythonanywhere domains.

how do you do that?

You just enter it into the place where you would normally enter a custom domain like www.yourdomain.com. Of course, you won't see that input field in a free account.

BTW the "blah" in @glenn's example needs to be alphanumeric -- no dots, dashes, commas, etc.