Forums

Update Node and NPM

Is there any way to update Node and NPM to their latest versions without running into permission issues?

Yes, absolutely -- you can use NVM to install the versions that you want. Details on this help page.

Hi. I went through the steps but getting errors. Here is the console output:

15:53 ~ $ nvm install v12.7.0
Downloading and installing node v12.7.0...
Downloading https://nodejs.org/dist/v12.7.0/node-v12.7.0-linux-x64.tar.xz...

################################################################## 100.0%

Computing checksum with sha256sum
Checksums matched!
node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion fd > -1' failed. nvm is not compatible with the npm config "prefix" option: currently set to "" Runnpm config delete prefixornvm use --delete-prefix v12.7.0` to unset it.

15:56 ~ $ nvm use --delete-prefix v12.7.0
\node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion fd > -1' failed. node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertionfd > -1' failed. Aborted

15:56 ~ $ npm config delete prefix
node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion `fd > -1' failed. Aborted

15:56 ~ $ npm --version
node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion `fd > -1' failed. Aborted

15:57 ~ $ nvm alias default v12.7.0 default -> v12.7.0

15:57 ~ $ npm --version node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion `fd > -1' failed. Aborted

15:57 ~ $ npm config delete prefix node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:549: uv__close_nocheckstdio: Assertion `fd > -1' failed. Aborted

Thanks for letting us know. It looks like the very latest node is not compatible with our virtualization system; the current LTS (10.16.0) is compatible, however.

Would switching to Docker consoles fix this?

Hmm, good point! It would, though you'd only be able to run node stuff in consoles with that -- not, for example, in scheduled tasks. @perks3 -- would that work for you?

Dicker consoles is an experimental feature; more info is available here

*docker

:D thanks

my typos are so enbarassimg

HELLO YUKUDEMIANS AM YUKUOSCAR AM FROM UGANDA HOW I WISH U ADD ME TO THE GROUP OF WHATSAPP

We do not have a whatsapp group.