Forums

Redesign CNAME error

After setting up Cloudflare the Webapp page keeps complaining that I fail at DNS configuration, after some Googling I found this topic that explains why the error appears: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/forums/topic/11952/.

Since I deploy everything via a pipeline I am fine with ignoring the error, I rarely see it. But now I have decided to try out your API to reload my webapp. I was hoping to do that so that in my pipeline I know that after that call the website is actually using the new code so that I can do a sanity check.

Unfortunately the API returns a 409 status code because of the CNAME issue. I assume that in this instance the reload command actually has gone through and the app was reloaded. I think that an upstream issue at the DNS level shouldn't cause the reload endpoint to return a 4xx status code since everything at PythonAnywhere is perfectly fine. I believe that a reload of the Webapp will never influence the CNAME anyway?

I think that it would make more sense for the reload endpoint to return a 200 in case of this CNAME issue. Maybe with a warning message?

If you get a 409 because your CNAME could not be verified, that will be reflected in the content of the error message, so you can look at that to determine whether it's an error that you care about or not.

Thanks for the response. I did see that the response contained a specific message. I just wanted to give some feedback on the API that you're building :-)