Forums

How can I update to python 3.7?

I need to change to the earlgray image. Should i just request it or are there instructions to do it one self?

yup- admins need to do it manually for you. if you just reply here/email us to confirm that you understand that updating to a new image may break your existing code (because library versions may be different etc), and also you will have to rebuild any virtualenvs, then we can manually switch you to earlgrey.

Please upgrade me to the earlgray image as well!

I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled/always-on tasks will pick it up the next time they're started. If you need it switched back, just let us know.

I assume I'm on earlgray with python3 --version returning Python 3.7.0.

How to update to 3.7.2 ?

We don't have a system image with 3.7.2 yet, though we plan to have one with an update to the various Python versions later on this year. Is there something specific in 3.7.2 that you need, which 3.7.0 doesn't have?

Somehow, using certain functions of urllib2/3 and requests fails on 3.7 but not on 3.7.2 when testing on my local. I didn't have the time yet to check on the specifics.

Do you have a specific time frame for 3.7.2?

We don't have a specific timeframe beyond later this year. Could you give some more details about the errors you're getting? It might potentially be a difference between running on PythonAnywhere versus running locally rather than a Python version thing.

c

I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

Why do we need to have admins manually do this stuff?

Because they're hiding the "switch to docker consoles button" in area 51?

@quiques -- you're already on earlgrey; what problems are you seeing that you thought switching to it would address?

@johnobama -- developing stuff takes time, unfortunately, and making it a user-accessible feature hasn't hit the top of our to-do list yet.

@dull -- I doubt there will ever be a "switch to docker consoles button"

so... what are you hiding in area 51?

enter image description here

Actually, you are hiding the admin password

Please upgrade me to the earlgray image. I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

Okay, that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled/always-on tasks will pick it up the next time they're started.

Please upgrade me to the earlgray image. I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

No problem. That's done.

laughs in fishnchips

Could you please upgrade me to the earlgray image as well?

They have a newer one called fishnchips which has Python 3.8

@dzil123 sure! We can update you to earlgrey or fishnchips (I recommend the latter). One word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

@giles Yes, please update me to fishnchips.

That's done.

Please upgrade me to the fishnchips image. I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you! pserv.

It looks like you're already on the fishnchips image -- what problems are you seeing that suggest that you're not?

Hi @giles! Please update me to the latest python 3.x version. I stuck on Python 3.5 since 2015, and it becames a problem.

@anhel No problem, it's done. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up the next time they're started.

Please upgrade me to latest image. I need python 3.7 or high. and django 2.2.9 or high, and sqlite 3.8.3 or high help me~

@ssep4u done

Update My Python Please to 3.7

@hammadurrafay, your account is already using the latest system image, so Python 3.7 is already available. Just use it. Either by starting a Python3.7 console or using python3.7 in a Bash console.

@conrad I would like to be updated to python 3.7 please. I have been testing for a while now in a 3.7 environment, and my current code can only run on 3.7, not 3.6 due to future annotations

Avasam, It's done for you.

@fjl Thanks! Everything is working again :)

Hey creating from Uzbekisan.

Can u update my python version to 3.7 please? i can't run mysite zokirhal.pythonanywhere.com. now using python 2.7 but for django 2, need 3+ version.

Thanks

No problem. I have updated your account.

please upgrade my python to 3.7, thanks in advance

Your account already has Python 3.7 available; you just need to make sure that you're using the right command. python3.7 will start 3.7, python3.5 will start Python 3.5, and so on. python on its own is an alias to Python 2.7 because that is required by the operating system.

3.8 is now available

Update My Python Please to 3.7

hi- can you confirm you have read our warnings?

I seem to be stuck with python 3.5 version. Can I please get updated to python 3.7 or 3.8 if available?

hi- can you confirm you have read our warnings?

I have read the warnings and it appears fishnchips is what I need. My site may break but that is absolutely fine. I will get it up and running again.

@Lluvian Okay, that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled/always-on tasks will pick it up the next time they're started.

You guys are awesome!

You guys are awesome!

Please update my dullw account to 3.8. Also here are some pics of my rabbit in case you are having a rough day

@dull -- that's done now. That's an adorable rabbit!

Could I have my account updated to fishnchips as well please? I've read the warnings.

hi there, you are already on fishnchips

you might need to restart web app, console, etc

Not if they're already on fishnchips...

I am working on upgrading my app from py 2.7 to 3.x. This is my test account and I'm now running here on python 3.6.0 which is the most recent this account has. Please upgrade to the latest image you have so I can migrate to a more recent python version. When I'm finally ready to switch in production I'll ask you to upgrade that account too. Thank you!

Sure! That's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled/always-on tasks will pick it up the next time they're started.

Please could I get upgraded to 3.7? I couldn't understand why when I installed a Django app on 3.7 that the Python version remained 2.7 but I see that's an OS requirement!

I understand the risks, and haven't actually got any code yet to break...

llYou already have 3.7 available -- that's why you were able to start a website using it. I think what's confusing you is that if you type python into a Bash console, you get Python 2.7.

In Bash, you have a bunch of different versions of Python available, so you need to use the correct command to start the version you want. So, python2.7 will start 2.7, python3.7 will start 3.7, python3.8 will start 3.8, and so on. The have corresponding pip commands, pip2.7, pip3.7, and so on, if you want to install packages.

The command python without a version number starts 2.7 -- that's the OS requirement -- but you can start any other version by using the commands above.

Thank you! The pip commends will do it :-)

Glad to help :-)

Hello, please could you update my account to the latest image. I've tested my application in a test account (ocsnedb) with this new image and will switch this, my production app, to 3.7 once the new image is there.

Thank you!

Sure, we have done that for you. You will need to restart web app, consoles etc for the change to take effect.

Hi,

Could you update my account to python3.7? I understand it may break things etc but need it for using some newer python libs in my app. Thanks.

Sure, we have upgraded you to the latest system image. You will need to restart web app, consoles etc for the change to take effect.

Thanks. I reloaded my consoles etc but still am running version 3.4 and not 3.7, can you check if there was a problem?

Did you change the version of Python that your web app is running on the web app configuration page?

No I was using a bash console to setup a virtual env to host some task scripts I need to run. When I load a bash console and type python3 it still shows the 3.4 version.

Please upgrade me to the fishnchips image. I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

@ttheorydataextractor If you type python3.7 in bash it will run python 3.7. We can change the default python3 for you.

@cbrl No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up the next time they're started. Your default save and run python version and default python3 version remain unchanged. We can change it for you if you want.

yes please change the default to 3.7 for me as I cannot install packages in a vm under 3.4 that I need.

No problem. I have updated your default Python 3 to be Python 3.7. Now when you use python3, it will be Python 3.7

ok thanks, it works now.

I noticed that when I check my python version in the Bash Console, it says 2.7.12 . whilst the version within my virtual environment is 3.7.5. I've installed all my libraries so far within the virtual env, but I am considering upgrading the global python version (2.7) to 3.7. Can this be done, and what are the risks of either doing so or not?

You need to use specific python commands to run new versions of python in bash (outside virtual environment), so just run python3.7 not python

Thank you!

Your account is already on the earlgrey image. If you want to use a specific version of Python from bash, remember to put the version into the command that you run -- for example, run python3.8 to start Python 3.8.

Please upgrade me to fishnchips, have made the request through contact us link but no avail

Please do it for default save and run and python 3 also, I can restart everything once it is done, please upgrade everything

No problem. That's done.

Thanks a ton

upgrade my account to python 3 please

sure, I've changed your account's system image.

Hello admins, Please upgrade my system's image to python 3.7. I understand the risks involved. Thanks!

Your account already supports Python 3.7 -- you just need to use the appropriate command to start it. python3.7 starts 3.7, python3.8 starts 3.8, and so on. They have associated pip commands, pip3.7 and pip3.8. The command python on its own is an alias to the command python2.7 -- unfortunately that's something that is imposed on us by the operating system.

Hello admins, Please upgrade my system's image to python 3.4.2 .I understand the risks involved. Thanks!

Hello admins, Please upgrade my env to python 3.8 as I am getting v2.7 from bash. I understand the risk.

Thanks

@grbrtbtrtb and @borisimple, both of your accounts are on the most recent version. If you wan tot use a specific version of Python in a console:

python3.4

:::bash
python3.8

Hello admins, Please upgrade my system's image to python 3.7. I understand the risks involved. Thanks!

No problem. That's done.

Hello. I was hosting my site using the beginners account and had selected the correct python version(3.7). Today I found out that the python version had changed. Is there a reason for this? Could you please upgrade my python version to 3.7? Thank you in advance.

Could you have possibly mistakenly changed your webapp python version from 3.8 to 3.7?

Hello there, Can you please upgrade my system image to the latest one. Thanks. :)

You are already on the latest system image.

Thank you!

You're already on the "fishnchips" image, which is more recent than "earlgrey". If you're trying to run a specific version of Python from Bash, you should use the corresponding command -- python3.8 for version 3.8, for example. python on its own is an alias to python2.7 because unfortunately that's what the operating system requires.

Thank you!

You are already on the newest system image.

can you please update my python to 3.7 it will not break because I need to run selenium and thanks for activating the chromedriver

can you please update my python to 3.8

@Itzkartik and @pydevloper you are already on the latest system image.

Can you please upgrade me to python 3.7?

Hello!

Can you please update my python to 3.7?)

hmm you are already on the latest system image. Do you mean you want to change the default python3 from python3.8 to 3.7?

But if I run the command (python --version) in my bash console, it returns me: Python 2.7.12. For my project I need 3.7. Can you please help me with resolving this issue?

Just run

python3.7 --version

Please can you upgrade me to 3.7? Thanks!

No problem, @rosamundm, I have updated your system image.

Could I have a little upgrade, as a treat?

No, we don't give out upgrades for free. This forum thread is about updating the system image for older accounts that don't have access to the most recent versions of Python. Your account is already on the most recent system image.

Can I be upgrade to 3.7? I understand the repercussions! Thanks.

Can I be upgrade to 3.7? I understand the repercussions! Thanks.

No problem! That's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up the next time they're started. Your default save and run python version and default python3 version remain unchanged. We can change it for you if you want.

Can you upgrade my python to 3.7?

No problem. That's done now.

Could I be upgraded to Python 3.8, I read through the warnings and understand the repercussions. Thanks!

Your account is already at the most recent system image, so Python 3.8 is already available.

Can you upgrade my python to 3.8?

Your account is already at the most recent system image, so Python 3.8 is already available.

Sorry, I already understood what the problem is.

could i get an upgrade to python3.6? I'm struck on python2.6. I'm trying to deploy my first project but it is having difficulty with python version in bash.

You have the latest system image. Just use python3.6 command or create a virtual environment,

Can I get an update to python3.7.5 to python3.7.7? I am having difficulties in SQLite version. Thank you!

3.7.5 is the most recent 3.7 release that we support. However, if the errors you're getting are related to SQLite, I don't think that it's the Python version that is causing them. What's the specific error message that you're getting?

I am having issues with fts5, here is the error, sqlite3.OperationalError: no such module: FTS5

I see that you've posted about that in another forum thread, so I'll answer there.

Not OP, but how do I upgrade from 3.7.0 to 3.7.5 as 3.7 has a weird bug with django (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59215428/loading-admin-page-after-upgrading-to-django-3-0-crashes-dev-server)

We can upgrade your account, but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

Afternoon PythonAnywhere,

Can you please upgrade my python to the latest version!

Thanks in advance, and I accept any risks involved.

@RudolfJ You already have the latest version. Use python3.8 command.

Please upgrade me to fishnchips, I understand the consequences this may cause.

@danielxjean you are already on fishnchips, what makes you think that you are not?

When I do python --version , it gives me Python 2.7.12 . How do i switch do 3.8?

There are different commands for each Python version; you should use python3.8 to run Python 3.8, python3.6 to run 3.6, and so on. python on its own is just an alias to python2.7 because unfortunately that's what the operating system requires.

Hi, can you upgrade my bash to python3.8 please?

You already have 3.8 installed. There are different commands for each Python version; you should use python3.8 to run Python 3.8, python3.6 to run 3.6, and so on. python on its own is just an alias to python2.7 because unfortunately that's what the operating system requires.

please upgrade my python to python 3.8.3

3.8.0 is the newest one available at a moment on PythonAnywhere. There will be newer on in the new system image later this year.

Please tell me how can I run my website code with python 3.8?

@kostbash You need to have your system image updated, but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

Yes. Please upgrade my python to 3.8. I understand possible consequences.

No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; any scheduled/always-on tasks and websites will pick it up the next time they're (re)started. If you're using Jupyter/IPython notebooks, you'll need to kill any existing ones using the process list on the "Consoles" page to make them restart fully to pick up the new Python versions.

Guys, how i can run my website code with python 3.8?

It looks like your web app is already configured to use Python 3.8 (you can check it on the "Code" section of the "Web" page).

Yes in web app i see python 3.8, but when i upload my code i got error from python 2.7

If you're using python to run your code in a Bash console, that runs Python 2.7. Use python3.8, instead.

please upgrade my python to python 3.9 or 3.8 or 3.7

3.8 is already available in your account.

I have only up to 3.6.0. My account is from mid/early 2018 hasn't been used in a long time. Is it possible to upgrade the image for me please?

@SBG Yes, one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

That's fine, I'm starting everything from scratch! Thanks pafk.

No problem, you're on the most recent system image now.

Can you please upgrade the system image in my account too, so that I can use python 3.8 or 3.9?

I'm, aware that I will have to rebuild my virtualenv and that my code might break.

Thanks!

No problem. I have updated the system image for your account.

Can you please upgrade the system image in my account too, so that I can use python 3.8 or 3.9?

I'm, aware that I will have to rebuild my virtualenv and that my code might break.

Thanks!

No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; any scheduled/always-on tasks and websites will pick it up the next time they're (re)started.

One quick note -- our most recent system image only goes up to Python 3.8 -- version 3.9 will be in our next one.

Please upgrade me to the python3.7. I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

Hi @TopRepos -- you're already on the most recent system image so you can use Python 3.7. Did you get any errors while trying to use python3.7?

Can you please upgrade the system image in my account too, so that I can use Python 3.7 or 3.8? I'm, aware that I will have to rebuild my virtualenv and that my code might break. Thank you!

@ramya6016 You are already on the latest one. Use python3.8 command to run python 3.8

@ramya6016 Your account is already on the latest one. Use python3.8 command to run python 3.8

Can you somehow update my bash to any 3.* version of Python? I can't install some libraries because it's running on 2.7. I understand that my code might break. Thanks in advance!

@artemaris00 You already have 3.8 installed. There are different commands for each Python version; you should use python3.8 to run Python 3.8, python3.6 to run 3.6, and so on. python on its own is just an alias to python2.7 because unfortunately that's what the operating system requires.

How can I update the base version of python pip 19.3.1 from /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip (python 2.7)

to 3.8

There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Thank you!

Hi @AbdulrahmanIbrahim -- you're already on our latest system image ("fishnchips"). Moving to "earlgrey" would mean a downgrade (you would loose Python 3.8 for example). Are you sure you want to go with that?

Yes, i'm sure that i want to downgrade to "earlgrey"

Thank you.

OK, that's done for you, @AbdulrahmanIbrahim. You're now on "earlgrey". (BTW sooner or later we're going to sunset old system images.)

Can you upgrade my python?

You already have 3.8 installed. There are different commands for each Python version; you should use python3.8 to run Python 3.8, python3.6 to run 3.6, and so on. python on its own is just an alias to python2.7 because unfortunately that's what the operating system requires.

Just a note to say that you no longer need to ask to have your system image changed -- you can change it yourself from the "Account" page. There's more information on this help page.

hello, can i have my system image upgraded i need to use python 3.8. Thank you

You no longer need to ask to have your system image changed -- you can change it yourself from the "Account" page. There's more information on this help page: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage

Joining the conversation a little late, but grateful that you guys added the simple feature to switch python versions.

Glad you found it helpful