Forums

How can I update to python 3.7?

I need to change to the earlgray image. Should i just request it or are there instructions to do it one self?

yup- admins need to do it manually for you. if you just reply here/email us to confirm that you understand that updating to a new image may break your existing code (because library versions may be different etc), and also you will have to rebuild any virtualenvs, then we can manually switch you to earlgrey.

Please upgrade me to the earlgray image as well!

I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; websites and scheduled/always-on tasks will pick it up the next time they're started. If you need it switched back, just let us know.

I assume I'm on earlgray with python3 --version returning Python 3.7.0.

How to update to 3.7.2 ?

We don't have a system image with 3.7.2 yet, though we plan to have one with an update to the various Python versions later on this year. Is there something specific in 3.7.2 that you need, which 3.7.0 doesn't have?

Somehow, using certain functions of urllib2/3 and requests fails on 3.7 but not on 3.7.2 when testing on my local. I didn't have the time yet to check on the specifics.

Do you have a specific time frame for 3.7.2?

We don't have a specific timeframe beyond later this year. Could you give some more details about the errors you're getting? It might potentially be a difference between running on PythonAnywhere versus running locally rather than a Python version thing.

c

Please upgrade me to the earlgray image as well!

I understand it may break my existing code and I will need to recreate virtualenvs.

Thank you!

Why do we need to have admins manually do this stuff?

Because they're hiding the "switch to docker consoles button" in area 51?

@quiques -- you're already on earlgrey; what problems are you seeing that you thought switching to it would address?

@johnobama -- developing stuff takes time, unfortunately, and making it a user-accessible feature hasn't hit the top of our to-do list yet.

@dull -- I doubt there will ever be a "switch to docker consoles button"

so... what are you hiding in area 51?

enter image description here

Actually, you are hiding the admin password