Forums

DNS configuring

Hello,

I have a domain with hostgator, and I'm trying to configure DNS.

In the web tab I added the domain: www.naturalmenteessencial.com

and it generated the CNAME: webapp-567549.pythonanywhere.com

I handed this to hostgator, and it's supposedly registered,

Because it was taking so long to propagate I contacted them again,

and they told me I must get the name servers from pythonanywhere and get back to hostgator.

I was gone trough this process recently, but this is confusing me, since the first time I didn't need to get the nameservers from pythonanywhere.

please help me,

Thank you in advance,

Jaime

We do not provide DNS hosting, so we do not have nameservers. In general, but not always, the company that you register your domain with will also host the DNS for it. You need to make sure that you have a company to host your DNS as well as act as a domain registrar. I don't know if hostgator do DNS hosting, but you should ask them if they do. If they don't you'll need to find a company to host your DNS.

I understand now, this was totally unexpected for me. because in my previous case I had also DNS hosting package, so this didn't came up.

So hostgator now makes me pay 10$/month or 150$/3 years, which is not the best thing.

Can you please point me some good company to host DNS with more convenient pricing, maybe GoDaddy has this service?,

thank you in advance,

Jaime

We don't have any official recommendations, but GoDaddy is definitely a popular choice amongst our customers. NameCheap are also widely used, and we use Gandi for our own domains (and I use them for my personal stuff too).

thank you for mentioning!

This situation is messing with me. I've been contacting hostgator multiple times, and I got different answers for the same question, they are ready to help! I possibly have explained myself not well at some point.

I thought initially that it would be enough to get a domain with them and configure the CNAME. Then the DNS hosting point came up in pythonanywhere. When I contacted them, they said I must get a hosting package with them. and well for me this doesn't make sense, since my host is pythonanywhere. Tho pythonanywhere doesn't host DNS, I don't understand exactly what this implies. with hostgator they can set DNS records for me, does that mean they host DNS?

hostgator configured my CNAME record yesterday, and since it didn't propagate yet, I contacted them again, and today they told me they were missing A record, so I made a DNS lookup for the python anywhere CNAME generated, and gave them the IP, so they can set the A record. is this the correct procedure?

Thank you for following this case,

I appreciate

DNA hosting and web hosting are 2 different things. In the same way that there is a server to respond to web requests for web hosting, you also need a server to respond to DNS lookup requests. That's what DNS hosting provides and that's why you need both.

Do not use an A record on PythonAnywhere, unless you know exactly what you are doing. There is currently no CNAME set for your domain and the A record has an IP address that has nothing to do with PythonAnywhere. If hostgator are doing the configuration for you, they just need to know that they need a CNAME that points www.naturalmenteessencial.com to webapp-567549.pythonanywhere.com

So I contacted hostgator again, and they configue DNS, so I assume they do DNS hosting.

They say they need A record, here is the message from hostgator:

Support:I would suggest that you ask for your server IP from them so we can point it to the correct one

I can remove the A record already set here

If that's what you'd like

me: I'm not sure

Support: A record is the DNS record that determines to which hosting your domain is pointed at

Without the correct A record, your domain will not work

That's just plain wrong and the person at hostgator does not know what they are talking about.

It does, however, appear that they have set up your domain with the correct CNAME and that your web app is now working correctly.

I really must get back to reading about DNS, it seems to be working now! thank god! I was about to buy a hosting package with hostgator on their suggestion. should I ask them to remove the A record?

Thank for the support!

i think they have already removed the A-record.

I just contacted them cause I needed to add an SPF record. so I asked them if there was still an A-record, and indeed they still have the A-record.

is it ok to keep it there? or could I run into problems?

also want to ask if pythonanywhere has e-mail service, so I could use for instance the email: staff@naturalmenteessencial.com

thank you. Jaime

You should take out the A-record if you can, as it may cause conflicts. We don't offer email services.

quiero saber sobre mi dominio lo compre en namecheap y puse el cname que me dio pythonanywhere pero ya van mas de 24 horas y me dice que no ha encontrado mi dominio

See our help page on troubleshooting DNS: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/TroubleshootingDNS/

Hi apparently my hostign help me to set up the cname it looks like the image, but when I go to the site I'm getting coming soon page from you, could you help me with this? https://v2uploads.zopim.io/3/d/8/3d8SKG17Bo6MMlU8rLg2Uy7VmDR0iKLi/5fe3c4c6c01ea052f31cb25de83829f528f45469.png

@edgarrobles10 you need to rename your web app to match your custom domain, you will get the correct CNAME then, which you need to use at your registrar configuration, see https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/CustomDomains/.

@pafk thanks!, I just did and they update the cname, I need to update the allowed hosts in my application settings right?

https://v2uploads.zopim.io/3/d/8/3d8SKG17Bo6MMlU8rLg2Uy7VmDR0iKLi/d4cec7155ef629c7caa485b8ce57d5ebdf4ff033.png

@pafk yes it worked, just another question related with the Certificate, I'm getting that certificate is invalid, what should I do to fix that? or should I just wait?

I don't get that warning now, so I suppose waiting solved the issue.

Hi my web app is working in the default domain but when i set the custom domain name set up the cname i can even set up the ssl cetificate when i check on my webapp nothing gets displayed other than :This site can’t be reachedCheck if there is a typo in domain_name.com why is that ? and thanks for the help

Check that your cname has propogated here -> https://dnschecker.org/#CNAME/domain_name.com