Forums

Clone repository - Github

Hello,

I am trying to push my project from PythonAnywhere to Github. In the past I have done this with "git clone git@githun.com:CaptianSensible/python....." in the bash prompt. When I try that in the bash prompt via python anywhere I get the below error.

Cloning into 'PythonAnywhere-ScratchPad-website'... Permission denied (publickey). fatal: Could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.

I am not surprised I dont have permission but I dont know any other way to go about this. Can anybody help me out? Please dont direct me to the GitHub page to create a repository, that page only covers creating the repository and editing the read me file.

Obviously I am new to this, if there is a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do (store projects from PythonAnywhere on Github) I would LOVE the info.

Thanks all!

is it because you mispelt github and used githun.com instead? also you may want to try to clone with https url instead of the ssh url

@conrad Thanks so much for the response! Luckily my typo was only in this forum post and not what I actually entered in the bash prompt. Cloning using https instead of ssh worked, so thank you for that help. Really appreciate it!

I am however now having another issue if anyone feels like trying to help. When I enter "git push origin master" I get the below error:

fatal: 'origin' does not appear to be a git repository fatal: Could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.

Is there another command I should use for PythonAnywhere? Tried digging around a bit on this but I didnt see anything obvious. Again I am new to all this so I am completely open to any ideas/help.

Thanks,

Did you try searching on stackoverflow? eg: this

Hey hey @conrad Thank you so much! Guess I wasnt understanding the remote repository issue. Again thank you so much, very much appreciate the help!