Forums

domain moving

Hello,

Is it possible to transfer a domain from a different host into pythonanywhere?

Thanks in advance

sure- is this what you are looking for?

Hello conrad,

I'm looking for something different, I have a domain in hostgator, but it's not reasonable to deploy a Django webapp to hostgator, it's not supported by hostgator, there is a way to do it, and from what I have read, it has performance problems.

So what I am looking for is how to transfer my domain from hostgator into pythonanywhere.

Thanks for your attention

While we're not a domain registrar ourselves, Hostgator have an option where you keep the domain registered with them, but no longer host the website with them (which -- at least from a quick browse of their website) means that it's cheaper, as you're not paying for the hosting any more.

What you'd do is create a website on the "Web" tab inside PythonAnywhere, with the appropriate hostname (like www.yourdomain.com -- this would require a paid account), and then configure the DNS settings on Hostgator so that you had a CNAME record pointing www.yourdomain.com at the PythonAnywhere servers using the value that will be displayed on the "Web" tab once the website has been created there.

This help page on the Hostgator site explains how to set up a CNAME record, but if you hit any problems while trying to do it, just let us know -- we're pretty used to helping people debug DNS setup problems :-)

Hello giles,

Thank you for the reply!

Only now I got to this!

So I upgraded my pythonanywhere account to Hacker

I added my domain to the web tab in pythonanywhere.com and I have the CNAME link from there

Now when I get to configure hostgator: I want to add a CNAME record So I must fill two values, a name and a CNAME

I'm getting a bit confused here regarding what should be the name? is it my domain?

I assume the CNAME field is the CNAME link from the web tab in pythonanywhere

Thanks in advance Best regards,

the name would be www, and the cname value would be the webapp-11111.pythonanywhere.com value we provide you from your webapps tab

Hello conrad,

Thank you for reaching me.

It won't let me choose www as a name. I get this error message: That name is reserved (already in use).

I also need to do this same process with a website from wix.com, do you know if it's possible?

This was solved!

Now I have a domain from wix.com that I want to associate with pythonanywhere is this possible?

do you mean you own a domain on wix.com? in that case you could go through the same steps to point it to your pythonanywhere webapp? (ie. setup the cname from the wix "my domains" page)

if you mean that you have a website on wix.com, then that probably will be hard to transfer the website code over to pythonanywhere.

I only want to keep the domain from wix, not the code. As this is not my wix domain, and I have never used wix I'm trying to figure if it's a reasonable move

It really depends on Wix rather than PythonAnywhere. If you own a domain, and it's registered with a company that allows you to point your domain at another company's servers, then you can host it on our system.

All "normal" domain registrars like GoDaddy, Gandi, Google Domains and so on will allow that. But there are some companies that provide you with a "free" domain if you pay them for web hosting. Some of those companies won't let you point the domain at another company's servers, because they're set up to provide a combined package -- both domain registration and hosting together. I've taken a look at Wix's website but I can't really tell which of the two categories they fit into.

The best thing would probably be for you to contact Wix's support and ask if they provide a service where they handle the domain registration and allow you to create DNS settings (specifically, a CNAME) to point your domain at another company's web hosting system.

I have some updates,

So it turns out that wix.com can create CNAME records, but the domain was not in wix(misunderstood happened).

So I have two domains with hostgator with pythonanywhere CNAME records configured already, but now in python anywhere I'm getting sort of a warning:

DNS setup: How to point your domain at your website.

CNAME: webapp-561220.pythonanywhere.com

You do not have a CNAME set up for your domain. Check this help page for more information about how to set it up correctly.

When I click reload I get this message:

There is a problem with your domain name configuration. Take a look at the DNS setup section below for details. Be aware that DNS changes can take some time to propagate across the internet. The exact time they take will depend on your domain configuration, but it could be as long as a day.

Do I need to take some additional steps in pythonanywhere so I can upload the webpage?

Thank you for supporting

Update: Problem solved.

Solution:

When I filled the domain in pythonanywhere I wrote:

jaimedcsilva.com

After I change it to :

www.jaimedcsilva.com

warnings disappeared,

now I must configure Https

Great! Glad you found the problem and fixed it.