Forums

Domain is not pointing at PythonAnywhere after webapp recreation

Hi,

I had created a webapp and pointed my domain primeinvest.io to PythonAnyWhere via CNAME editing Now I wanted to delete that webapp to create a new one with a new name (holygrid) and reuse the same domain. Now it says "domain not pointing to PythonAnyWhere" but the DNS zone file can only be the same.

Thanks for help

That's strange. From our DNS servers on the PythonAnywhere servers, it looks like there is no CNAME set up for www.primeinvest.io. But from my local Internet connection I can see a CNAME set up pointing to primeresults.pythonanywhere.com. And when I visit your site, I get a Django "It worked!" site.

This online DNS propagation checker shows that your CNAME isn't being picked up in a number of different locations. If you only just changed it, perhaps it needs a little more time to propagate?

@giles Thanks for that DNS checking link! They can take days sometimes.

Jim

Yup, we've found it really useful when trying to track down problems with sites we're hosting. Normally everything's sorted within a couple of hours after a change, but yes, sometimes it can take a really long time.

Thanks for checking, it seems to work fine now. Apperently it takes at least 4 hours.

Cheers,

I've tried to set my CNAME record in freenom.com under my domain... but I notice that the CNAME that pythonanywhere gives me keeps changing once I try to reload my app. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've been trying to handle this for a couple hours with no avail. Any tips?

The CNAME for your web app does not change when you reload it. See our documentation for how to configure your domain here: http://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/CustomDomains/

Glenn you’re right. I read somewhere that you can’t change an app to a custom domain... you have to start it over. So the CNAME that I thought was changing was just pointing at the old app. When I started a new app a copied in the source code, the CNAME points fine and it’s up and running. Thanks for your help. I love this platform and the community here is priceless. Cheers guys!

Hi ShaClo, I am also trying to set my CNAME record at freenom.com. I have added the pythonanywhere CNAME at my freenom domain's dns management but I still get the error message on the web tab of pythonanywhere "There is a problem with your domain name configuration. Take a look at the DNS setup section below for details. Be aware that DNS changes can take some time to propagate across the internet. The exact time they take will depend on your domain configuration, but it could be as long as a day." How long did it took for your DNS changes to propagate ?

You have your DNS set up for www.yourdomain.com, but your web app is at yourdomain.com. If you change your web app to www.yourdomain.com, then you have the correct configuration.

Thanks a lot Glenn the website's up and running now

Great! Glad to help.

Hi Glenn, can you guide me on how can I point my web app to yourdomain.com. It's currently only accessible through www.yourdomain.com. I am using a Freenom domain but I can't get it to forward it at yourdomain.com

Hi @AtharvaKatre -- I suppose you've already read our help page: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/CustomDomains/ . What problems do you have with setting up the redirection?

I found a work around by using NakedSSL.

That's a good solution.