Forums

DEAD Kernal - Jupyter Notebook (tried killing all jupyter kernals)

My python 3.6 kernal is completely dead. I have tried to kill all jupyter kernals from the console page, but when i open a new notebook the same problem persists.

Thanks in advance for your help

I see that you had entered the tarpit around when you posted this forum message- it may be that notebooks are not working too well when you run out of cpu seconds. Do the notebooks work now that your tarpit has reset?

Unfortunately the 3.6 kernal is still not working. If I switch to 3.5 or any other kernal then it works.

Is there any particular packages that you installed into python3.6 recently? In particular did you install something like zmq? It is possible that jupyter was using a particular version of zmq and you installed an updated one and that broke the jupyter server. I would remove that installed package from your ~/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages, and if you need it for your other projects etc, perhaps put it in a virtualenv instead?

Thanks, after uninstalling zmq the kernal is working again. It must've been a dependency for another package that got installed.

Ah, that would make sense. The kernels definitely use zmq, so perhaps whatever it was that you installed brought in a version they're not compatible with.