Forums

If another user gets banned from accessing a website, will that website block me as well?

If I run my web scraper (it does a total of 3 page hits) from my own installation of python, I have no issues.

If I run the same code from my python anywhere account (my paid account which is not limited to the whitelist) I'm am getting a 403 forbidden message. This happened right from the very first request so it wasn't me that got myself blocked.

Does this likely mean that another user got a pythonanywhere IP banned and we are sending requests from the same IP?

Thanks.

It's entirely possible, yes -- different programs run on different IP addresses, but we do have a fixed pool and some of them might have been banned by some services. Additionally, some sites block access from cloud services in general -- the set of IP addresses used by AWS (who provide our underlying infrastructure) is public information and so sites that only want people to access their sites from normal ISPs sometimes use that to block all of AWS.

You might find more details in the response you're getting from the service -- take a look at the contents.

Hello Giles, please I want to know if in anyway Whatsapp has blocked pythonanywhere from accessing there web application (web.whatsapp.com).

It's possible, but it's more likely that it's not working because that is not on our whitelist. If there is some public documentation that says that that is the WhatsApp API location, send us a link to the API documentation and we'll consider it for that whitelist.