Forums

Generating necessary information from namecheap ssl

I just got my ssl through namecheap who is my domain registrar and I'm trying to unpack these contents to put together the necessary text file to install the ssl on my domain that is hosted on pythonanywhere. I am having trouble finding the parts that I need.

Inside the ssl zip file I was sent, I have mydomain_com.ca-bundle file, a mydomain_com.crt file, and a mydomain_com.p7b file. I have found some semblance of a chain in the .ca-bundle file but haven't found any sort of encrypted key to use for installation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Normally the key is something you should already have. The standard process for getting an HTTPS certificate is:

• You generate a key.
  • You generate a CSR, signed with that key.
  • You provide the CSR (and not the key) to the certificate provider.
  • They sent you the cert (and any associated bundle).
  • You install the combined cert and the key you generated in the first step.

Is Namecheap's process different? If so, which steps are different?

(BTW with the files you received, the combined cert is almost certainly going to be just one file, with the contents of mydomain_com.crt first, then the contents of mydomain_com.ca-bundle.)

There is a file called www.mydomain.com.key. Is there a way to get the contents of this file. I have my bash console open and have tried

openssl req -in www.mydomain.com.key

The result is unable to load x509 request. The process appears similar, I am just having trouble locating the key to save it to the file that pythonanywhere needs for installation.

If the file is there, you just need to specify it when you run the pa_install_webapp_ssl.py command. It's just a text file, there's nothing special about it.

So if you've put the combined certificate (a single file, with the contents of mydomain_com.crt first, then the contents of mydomain_com.ca-bundle) in a file /home/chrisrtopher28/mydomain_com.combined.crt and the key is in /home/chrisrtopher28/www.mydomain.com.key, you would run

pa_install_webapp_ssl.py www.mydomain.com /home/chrisrtopher28/mydomain_com.combined.crt /home/chrisrtopher28/www.mydomain.com.key