Forums

file editor cannot edit certain files

I've been checking all over the forums and google for an answer to this, but thus far 've come up with no solutions, and am looking for some clarity. [ I'm a bit new to this whole python thing, so I do not claim to be a super-user of any sort ] Not sure which factors might be involved so I'm just listing all of the factors here.

As of right now, I'm working on two separate projects and wanted to keep them somewhat separate, but during development, I use the same master directory to simply run a single run.py file so I can test the projects at the same time, but I do keep the views separate and will modify the init.py down the road after uploading, which I was planning on doing here.

The first project I uploaded here months ago, is working just fine, so no worries on that whatsoever.
The second project I uploaded has a whole host of files that I cannot edit via the file editor.
** These two projects are on two different accounts on Pythonanywhere. ** not the same account.
Based on the google searches I've performed thus far, this is what I know:

1. These are not "0" byte files, they are simply .py, and .html files that I can edit fine on the first project, but not on the second one on pythonanywhere
  2. I cannot overwrite these files even if I edit them locally, zip them, and try to unzip on the server "Permission denied".
  3. I cannot delete them nor edit them locally (manually adding '?edit'), permission denied again.
  4. I cannot even delete the directory they are in.
  5. I do not get the 'upload file' button at the bottom of certain directories to try to simply overwrite them with a locally edited file.
  6. I've done a "ls -l" and the ownership and permissions SEEM to be the exact same as the files that I CAN edit.
  7. Most of the files that I can edit are in the main directory, but many of the .py's (i.e. views, models, etc) in the sub-directories cannot be edited.
  8. It seems like the files are are unique to second project and not used at all in the first project can be edited, but if they're used in both, most cannot be edited.
  9. Could this have something to do with the fact I used github to upload the first project and the files are somehow 'owned/ registered' to the first project? I did a simple zip upload for the second project since it's currently much simpler. It's strange because some of the files that are shared are newer/updated from the first project and still cannot be edited, so this possibility seems a bit strange/ inconsistent to me.

Since I can't overwrite the primary files, this pretty much makes this secondary account useless for me at the moment, but I also do not want to this to happen again should I create a new account and upload the updated files every time I want to test out the deployment. I wouldn't care so much if it was some css or js libraries that I wouldn't edit, but it's the primary files that I need to update obviously.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Can we look at your files? We can see them from our admin interface, but we always ask for permission first. It would also be useful to know the username for the files you can't modify (if it's not extenix) and the full path to an example file.