Forums

dropbox invitation is not accepted (or processed)

hello guys,

I invited dropbox@pythonanywhere.com about 8 hours ago to share one of my dropbox folders and re-invited half an hour ago. Unfortunately no email response or shared folder available yet.

cheers, Stef

Unfortunately we've had to discontinue Dropbox support, it was too unreliable.

You can find more info, and some suggestions for alternative ways to sync files between PA and your PC, here: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/wiki/UsingDropbox

thanks Harry.

I looked at the other ways, but there doesn't seems to be something I can use.

Here is my situation: I've a solar panel installation connected to a Raspberry-PI (a credit card computer), on which a webserver is installed that shows me the actual and historical data of the solar panels. A number of my friends also has such an installation. Now I want to compare the performance of these installations , both with each other an with a theoretical model. And that's a much too have job for the Raspberry-PI, so I had PythonAnyWhere in mind.

Now I need to get the data files from each of these installation once a day to PythonAnyWhere. I just have a free account, so I've to automatically upload from a site that's on the whitelist.

I tried

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/aawitsvurio1vhw/SolarPower_Molenhoek_dag.zip?dl=1&token_hash=AAElMs0qpmzWA7HjO6S_dhfSJF7GWD6xJhehUkg0uXrLrg&expiry=1399827471

which is on the whitelist, but still crashes: <quote> ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/aawitsvurio1vhw/SolarPower_Molenhoek_dag.zip?

Unsupported Request Method and Protocol

Squid does not support all request methods for all access protocols. For example, you can not POST a Gopher request.

Your cache administrator is webmaster. </quote>

Any suggestions ? cheers, Stef

Well that sounds like a cool project!

Obviously, one solution is to upgrade to a paying account. Then you'll be able to use scp / sftp to upload files directly from your raspberry pis straight to your PythonAnywhere account. $5/month is what it would cost, and we appreciate the support, it's what keeps the service running.

If that's not an option, then there are two avenues of enquiry. The first is to keep trying with dl.dropboxusercontent.com. That second URL doesn't look quite right, for example, maybe remove the final question mark? The other would be to find some other cloud storage service that's on our whitelist. Maybe pastebin?

Or perhaps you could run a web service at on PythonAnywhere and push the data to the web service from your Raspberry Pi, and skip Dropbox entirely?

@Harry: thanks for the fast response. I'll try first the second options you meant and let you hear my results.

@Giles: sounds like thé solution. But how to push to Dropbox (as it seems quiet blocked to me, ftp is not possible) ?

cheers, Stef

I think Giles was suggesting you make a web service on your knutselen.pythonanywhere.com account, where it accepts incoming data? Either you could send json via post, or maybe whole files using a multipart/form-data form... then the raspberry pis could send data there directly?