Forums

Upgrading Django in existing project

Hey, I started a Django project, and I was wondering if there was a way to upgrade to a newer version of Django without completely starting over. If not, how should I go about clearing my project out before starting over? Do I hit the "Nuke" button?

If you click the "Delete" button on the web tab, it won't delete your code -- it will just delete the configuration that connects your code to your domain.

So you can set up a new web app to use the old code pretty easily -- the one thing to be careful of is not to try to put the new one in the same directory as the old one.

Are you trying to move from 1.3 to 1.6? If so, I can give more detailed instructions.

@giles Yeah, I think that's the version I want. If I understand right, 1.6 is the latest official version, 1.7 is in beta, and there is a development version. Does "development version" mean it's a version that's in pre-beta form?

@kettu - from what I understand of Django's development process, that's correct, yes.

re: switching Django versions, you'll need to use a virtualenv. There are some instructions here: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/wiki/VirtualEnvForNewerDjango

So will I be able to keep my old subdomain?

yes -- kettu.pythonanywhere.com is yours forever!

So, then, do I click the button that says, "Delete kettu.pythonanywhere.com" under the "Web" tab in the dashboard?

yes. Don't worry, everything will be OK, I promise!

I'll make a note that we should put some reassuring explanation into the hover-text on that button...

Okay, thanks! :)