Forums

Can't run SQL Queries from MySQL Workbench

I am able to connect justo fine and can see database schema. When I try to do a simple query, mysql workbench hangs up as if trying to access results. I have timeout setting of 600.

What happens if you run the same query from a MySQL console inside PythonAnywhere?

Thanks for the reply.

Inside python anywhere, they run just fine.

Have you seen this?

Thanks for reply. Ofcourse I have.

This document was big help for me to be able to connect and see DB schema from MySQL Workbench.

I am on paid account and I can’t run sql queries. A simple query like Desc tablename also makes MySQL workbench hang up.

Hmm, OK. So just to make sure we have the full details:

• MySQL workbench connects OK.
  • It's displaying a schema, so presumably it's been able to send some commands and get some results from the server.
  • However, when you run SQL commands, they're timing out.
  • The same commands work fine from MySQL consoles inside PythonAnywhere.

Is that correct?

If so, it does sound weird. If it wasn't connecting at all, or wasn't showing the schema, that would suggest a connectivity problem, but it sounds like we can rule that out.

One further test we can try; could you try making a normal SSH connection? On Linux or a Mac, just run ssh jewelstudio@ssh.pythonanywhere.com, and enter the password you use to log in to the PythonAnywhere website -- you should get a bash session on PythonAnywhere, and be able to ls your files and so on just like you could from a bash console on the site. If you're on Windows, you can use PuTTY and log in that way. Try keeping the session running for a few minutes to see if it disconnects or something like that.

You are correct in your understanding.

I did open the session as you mentioned and it works just fine. Stayed open for over 30 minutes as I write this.

When I export schema and data, that also works from mysql workbench.

What happens if you use the graphical interface to examine a table? For example, in the version I have installed, you would right-click on a table, then click "Select rows -- limit 1000".

It doesn’t work

When you say it's showing the schema, is it definitely getting it from the server (and not, say, from something you've configured it with)? Could you send us a screenshot (over email to support@pythonanywhere.com just in case there's stuff there that shouldn't be shared in a public forum)?

I updated MySQL Workbench to 8.0 and the problem went away.

Apparently, the problem was MYSQL Workbench version 6.3 with the Mac OS

THANKS EVERYONE

Phew! Really glad you worked it out, that was a very confusing problem. Thanks for letting us know what the problem is -- at least we know what to suggest to people if they hit similar issues in the future.