Forums

IPython - getting started

I read where IPython was recommended as a better Shell compared to the Shell that comes with the Python 3.6 installation. So I installed and ran IPython but it looks like a black DOS screen with no GUI interface or even a toolbar menu?!? So what's so great about it? (BTW, I see where some sites refer to using IPython with a "Jupyter notebook" and 'Anacondia" - do I need that as well?).

Thanks in advance to all who reply. Dan

IPython has auto-complete and a number of "magic" functions that allow you to do things like edit previous commands more easily than the normal Python shell; there's a good summary here.

If you want a graphical interface, then yes, Jupyter notebooks (which were previously called IPython notebooks -- they're from the same team) are better. They're a paid feature on PythonAnywhere, but drop us a line over email at support@pythonanywhere.com if you'd like us to switch them on for your account for a week or two so that you can try them out.

Thanks, Giles - the article was a help. I think I have a ways to go before I consider IPython notebooks but I'll keep your offer in mind, Any thoughts on comparing PyCharm to Wingware?

Dan

I think pycharm is more popular

Conrad, Thanks, if PyCharm is not too huge I'll give that a shot. Dan