Forums

Upgrade web2py

Hi, you're currently using version 2.14.6 of 2016 for a new web2py Web application. They've just released version 2.17.1, and you can directly upgrade to the latest version using the web2py admin page (+ reload of the Web app). Could you kindly update your default version?

Also, since Python 3 is officially working and supported since last year's version, can you change the default Python version used to 3.6? If ever needed, an advanced user can always change the Python's version used as described here https://www.pythonanywhere.com/forums/topic/7669/

Thank you, Nico

Well, I've just found that using Python 3.5 you get visualization problems with the upper buttons and menus. Maybe we should fix this before changing the default Python version ...

Nico

We're working on that at the moment.

Hi, I've made some more tests, the visualization problem is already reported here. And it affects any supported Pyhon version, so it's not a PA problem ;-)

I think it's better to wait for the next web2py release.

Nico

Sounds wise -- and thanks for letting us know that web2py is now working with Python 3, I think we'd missed that!

Hello, web2py is now officially supports Python 3 (see the main page https://www.web2py.com and its Download one). There is also a new version 2.17.2 that resolves all the known bugs.

So, I think it's a good time time to upgrade your default version, and to modify it to use Python 3.5 !

Thank you, Nico

thanks! We will consider putting that into our next system image.

Any news on using version 2.19 and Python 3?

It's on our to do list.

Just bumping this as I'm going through the introduction to web2py and I might as well use the most up to date versions of everything. I see an easy way to change Python version, but no way to change web2py version, so when I switch to Python 3.8 the app breaks (but I can make it work again by switching back to 2.7).

To upgrade web2py, you need to log in to its own admin interface -- the one on your website itself, rather than the PythonAnywhere interface. There should be an upgrade option near the top right of the page.

Once it has been upgraded from there, you'll be able to switch to using Python 3.8.