Forums

Connecting Godaddy domain to Pythonanywhere

Hi there. Can someone help in connecting my own domain from Godaddy connected to my webapp?

My webapp is webaapxxxx.pythonanywhere.com, CNAME = webapp-XXXXX.pythonanywhere and brought my domain at Godaddy(xxxdomain.com). I already setup my Godaddy CNAME setup. Host: www Points to: webapp-XXXX.pythonanywhere TTL:1 hour

I have tried following instructions from the links below but still was not able to connect to my own domain. https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/UsingANewDomainForExistingWebApp https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/OwnDomains

Appreciate your assistance in advance.

There's not really any information in your post that we can use to identify the issue that's specific to you. The most common cause of confusion with CNAMEs is that it takes time for the DNS system to update. Another source of issues is that users set up a CNAME for www.something.com and have a web app at something.com.

I a facing the same issue with godaddy. There are two fields, first is host & other is cname. I tried www in host field but it failed. Then i tried with pythonanywhere.com, www.pythonanywhere.com and waited for an hour to reflect dns in both the cases. M still struggling with it

I use Godaddy for one of my domains on PA. I have a CNAME record with:

WWW in host

webapp-XXXXX.pythonanywhere in points-to

1 hour in TTL

I also have a CNAME record with:

_domainconnect in host

_domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com in points-to

1 hour in TTL

My setup works,

I have had a lot of problems getting stuff to work with Godaddy before though, especially e-mail. I don't know why exactly but the way their web forms are done is weirdly different from all the others I have used in a way the bends my brain.

@nverse thanks for posting that! Always good to have a record of a working configuration in a thread like this :-)

@pnmhatre -- do you get anywhere if you use something like the CNAME record that @nverse mentions? You need "www" in the "host", and the "webapp-XXXXXX.pythonanywhere.com" value from the "Web" page in the "points to" column. TTL can be 1 hour, or even as low as 300 seconds.

If you still can't get it working, send us a screenshot of the GoDaddy control panel page over support@pythonanywhere.com.