Forums

CNAME-CONNECTION HELP

So I wanted to change my domain name from yourdomain.pythonanywhere.com to modernarbitratrion.co.uk so I created an account in Go Daddy and Inputted the following at DNS Management : CNAME www webapp-367844.pythonanywhere.com(this is @ at first) 1 Hour and "webapp-367844.pythonanywhere.com" is the CNAME I got while renaming their given domain name. But I still get the "Coming Soon! This is going to be another great website hosted by PythonAnywhere. PythonAnywhere lets you host, run, and code Python in the cloud. Our free plan gives you access to machines with everything already set up for you. You can develop and host your website or any other code directly from your browser without having to install software or manage your own server..." page. I can't see any other solutions. Please help.

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue at present. Got domain, added cname, it started showing me the PythonAnywhere 'welcome page' but I can't acces neither my own app, nor the default admin panel (when I go www.domain.com/admin it still shows the welcome page).

I've created a new app, but it still isn't being picked up.

Fuck, I see where my issue is coming from...

1. In WEB configuration tab, I've created an application and provided 'naked' domain name as its name. Configuration for DOMAIN.COM

2. In the docs, it says that PythonAnywhere doesn't support naked domains.

When I renamed my app from DOMAIN.COM to WWW.DOMAIN.COM it started to work.

Note to PA: You shouldn't allow me to create an app with unsupported domain as its name.

@MichaelCoburn -- I think you're probably seeing the same problem as @rsvp -- your website is set up to respond on yourdomain.com, but your CNAME is set up for www.yourdomain.com. If you change the hostname on the "Web" tab (click the pencil button next to it) and add the missing www., then everything should work.

@rsvp -- the problem isn't exactly that we don't support naked domains. It's that the hostname you have configured on the "Web" page must match exactly the hostname you configure the CNAME for. You'd have had the same effect if, say, you'd set up the CNAME for www.yourdomain.com but due to a typo you'd put ww.yourdomain.com into the "Web" page.

You can host a naked domain on PythonAnywhere if you configure the naked domain to point to our servers (which requires an A record rather than a CNAME), we just very strongly recommend against it for the reasons described on this help page.

Thanks Giles.