Forums

"Coming soon" after CNAME change

I added the CNAME record to the DNS manager for my domain.

My browser takes me to a PythonAnywhere "coming soon" page when I type in the domain.

Why isn't my page showing up? If the browser directs me to python anywhere, it means the DNS is propagated.. right?

Maybe you are testing the naked-domain? Do you already created corresponding web-app?

Are you going to your domain? Or the webapp-XXXXX.pythonanywhere.com value shown in the "Web" tab?

• If you're going to the domain, then does the domain you're typing into the browser exactly match the one you've specified in the "Web" page? For example, if you have the CNAME set up for www.yourdomain.com but you've specified yourdomain.com in the "Web" tab, then you'll get a "Coming soon" page.
  • The webapp-XXXX.pythonanywhere.com hostname is just a load-balancer identifier -- it will always show "Coming soon" if you visit it.

I am seeing the same issue. I am pointing my cname on godaddy for xxx.mydomain.com to xxx-myusername.pythonanywhere.com

xxx-myusername.pythonanywhere.com - brings up my working web page. But xxx.mydomain.com brings up the coming soon page on pythonanwhere.com So, I assume that although the CNAME has propagated enough to direct me back to pythonanywhere, there is a name server entry that has to be made at python anywhwere. I will leave it be and see if it resolves with time.

Both of your custom domains seem to have correct setup now and I was able to load both sites (no "Coming soon" message).

Thanks @paflk. I figured it out. User Error :-). The solution was to rename my webs in Web config to www.mydomain.com and xxx.mydomain.com. Now I have to figure out how to get my naked domain (mydomain.com) to point to www.mydomain.com. Do I need to change the A-Record? Ahh, just found the documentation. I will use a forward for mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com.

Glad to hear you figured that out! Regarding the naked domain, have a look at this help page.