Forums

web app capabilities

so basically id like to create a web app that holds quite a bit of data in a db roughly the data scaling up to 50-100 thousand people(initially it would start at 0 and everything would be added in) and very sensitive data like addresses phone numbers and things like that and have varying levels of access to said data 90% of the entire web app would be viewing stuff originally i was going to try and do this all in an application but then i thought of here and was wondering if something like this is possible for pythonanywhere to handle and if so would it be secure enough for that kind of data and fit into the web dev catagory also im just a low member where i work and not in any kind of tech position so if i did create something like this an they approved its use would i be able to transfer the cost and right and everything of the site over to someone int he tech department afterwards? it would only have about 10000 people viewing it daily across the US

Extra unnecessary details: my goal for this app is to create a 1 stop shop for the organization that i work for its non profit and we match tutors with students and using a site called salesforce we keep all the data on the students as far as all the testing we've done and whatnot as well as all the info for the tutors then use things like spreadsheets to take attendance and keep track of the schedule for for everything that goes on for each school i was hoping to integrate all of that data storage and the stuff we normally keep on spreadhseets all in one place and interactive to make things much simpler for us

Storing that amount of data would be fine on PythonAnywhere, so long as you use MySQL or Postgres as your database rather than sqlite. If you only have one website, you might not even need a Web Dev plan -- a Hacker one (perhaps customized to bump up the number of worker processes on your website) would probably do. Of course, that depends on how much processing your're doing in your Python code, but a simple site where most of the pages just do one or two database queries should be fine.

However, you would need to write the app's business logic yourself -- that's not something we can do.

In terms of security, you should be fine so long as you use a secure password for your MySQL database and, of course, write secure code for your business logic.