Forums

Multiple collaborators

What's the go to standard for multiple people who wish to work on the same project? I don't see a way to add someone else to my web application as a collaborator status.

Hmm, we don't really have anything built in for that. I think the best option would actually be to use GitHub. The way I would set up a multi-person project on PythonAnywhere would be:

• The main codebase would be on GitHub; each developer would either have read/write access to the repo, or (if you want to do code review etc) they could have their own forks and suggest changes via pull requests.
  • Each developer would have a free (or paid :-) PythonAnywhere account, and would have a checkout of the codebase there. Assuming that the project is a website, they'd all have it set up to run on the "Web" tab so that they can play with their dev version of the site. When they have a set of changes they'd like to make live, they'd push them to the central repository (or to their own and send a pull request).
  • Going live with a new change set would mean that someone would log in to the account where the live version of the site was running, doing a git pull, then restarting the site from the "Web" tab.

You could also add in a "staging" account (potentially also a free one) where you could test out changes before going live with them.

My paid account was set up for collaboration and ease of future deployment. As GitHub and PythonAnywhere can go hand in hand, it would seem a profitable feature for PythonAnywhere to add multiple collaborators to a project such as GitHub has for teams. Also, not doing that loses you, PythonAnywhere, potential revenue since we can just use GitHub for free and purchase other services elsewhere when needed. Since the above post is old, have you put this idea in a que for future development? If so, how long until it is available?

One thing that we have added since then is the "teacher" functionality; an account can nominate another account as their teacher, and then the person in the teacher account can switch roles so that they are using the PythonAnywhere as that student.

Right now, that system only allows each account to have one teacher, so it wouldn't work as something for teams, but perhaps if an account could have multiple teachers, each developer could be the "teacher" of the live account, and then they could all switch roles as and when required? We'd probably need to change the terminology so that it would be not so education-focused, of course.

But do you think that would work?

the above mentioned having "an account could have multiple teachers, each developer could be the teacher of the live account and they could all switch" - is this feature available as part of Beta teacher version ?

It was conditional if we implement it in the future. It's not available yet.

is there a plan to implement that in future, if so whats the time line on that?

There is, but we do not have a timeline.

we have a team and we are trying to give them access to live account ? is it possible, if so how?

You need to have a shared account with shared credentials.

how can the shared account with share credentials created ? please elaborate. thanks

fjl means that you need one account that everyone has the credentials to.

yes, thats correct. how can that be achieved ?

I have a code that run fine in the main (live) account but once shared with student, it does not run. Is there a way, as a teacher can pay to upgrade the student account to make the code run? Or is there a pay plan a teacher can pay for the student account(s) to make it work?

In some support form, I read reach out support and support can help the teacher to pay for student by paying $1/student. Please clarify and if so, how can I do it?

Email support@pythonanywhere.com with the number of students and the features you need for them. We will prepare a quote for the bulk purchase of custom paid accounts with a limited number of features.

thanks! I have email support.

Coming to this a couple of years late but have another commercial use case for you to consider please, @PythonAnwhere staff...

As a freelancer I quite often create prototypes using my own (low volume) account and end up introducing my paying clients to PythonAnywhere (and other services such as Zyte). I then encourage them to set up their own accounts and payment so they can choose and pay for the level of service they need without either a) me having access to their credentials and payment methods; b) me being responsible for the ongoing service.

It would be ideal if they could give me developer access to their account (including API credentials) but NOT access to their payment options, using my own login details.

Thanks for the suggestion, @AWSOM, noted!