Forums

Any chance to run Salt master on PA?

I'm interested in trying out the Salt configuration management system (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/salt/2014.1.0), and am trying to figure out if I can leverage my PythonAnywhere account to be the 'salt master' node that controls the 'minion' nodes. I'm thinking I would spin up minions on AWS with Boto from PA, and would like to test out controlling them with Salt, then terminate the temporary instances.

From what I can tell, it wouldn't eat up too incredibly many clock-seconds or too much bandwidth in my testing scenario, but Salt's prerequisites and install scenario seem to require root or sudo. I admit, I tried to do an install anyway, in a virtualenv, but it failed to even complete the install (apparently trying to build M2Crypto with swig?).

Does anyone have more experience with this? Am I just doing it wrong, or am I trying to do the wrong thing because this isn't a good fit for PA usage? Any Salt gurus set up something similar?

TIA,

D

Hi Dave,

I'll add a ticket to see if we can get those salt libraries installed, but it may not work.

In the meantime, you might check out "running salt masterless", which i think shouldn't require any major installs. Or, I've taken a quick look at Ansible in the past, it's very lightweight (no server-side software installs needed, no masters), and it worked pretty well for me...