Forums

any estimated time when will upgrade to Postgres version (9.6 or even 10.0)

any estimated time when will upgrade to Postgres version (9.6 or even 10.0)?

thanks

Alex Glaros

hi there, we have no immediate plans to upgrade postgres. we know we probably have to someday, but we haven't made plans yet. are there any particular features from the newer versions that you need?

More recent Postgres versions have improved drastically in terms of scalability so would be interested in eventually benefiting from that.

thanks,

Alex

interesting! scalability in what sense? do you have any sense of the numbers, where you are now compared to when it starts to make a big difference?

Here is a response I received in Stackoverlow. They said there are big improvements in terms of scalability with multiple concurrent sessions: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46854494/how-do-concurrent-reads-affect-postgres/46857308#46857308

I don't know what other areas Postgres has improved in. I can ask S.O. if you wish.

thanks

Alex

I'm not sure if it will be the case that your complete database will be in memory instead of partially on disk- so I'm not sure if that scalability improvement will be significant.

Postgres 11 has "covering indexes" which would actually have a lot of value for me. These are in other relational databases. 9.4 will be supported till 2020 (till Dec. 2019 in Django) so it's not make-or-break at all, although updating from 9.4beta3 to 9.4.X would be nice for security reasons.

Thanks for letting us know! Upvoted in our feature tracker.

As django, the framework a big share of your customers uses on your platform is going to drop support for 9.4 we would really appreciate a timely statement about your update plans. This is kind of a buy or not buy decision, as I want to use the newest django framework for longer thatn Dec. 2019 ;)

That definitely gives us a strong reason to upgrade! Is the Postgres9.4 going to be dropped from Django 3? It seems like it is supported for Django2.2. We will definitely try to upgrade our postgres servers before support is dropped.

Hi Looks like the version 9.4 lifecycle is ending by 2020-02-13 I would like to upvote for updating it to version 12 straight if possible

Postgres upgrade is on the way. We will announce it here when it's ready.

that's awesome keep up the good work guys gl

Any update on this?

No

I'm running an app with Django 3.1.3 and I run into the following error:

psycopg2.errors.SyntaxError: syntax error at or near "ON"

In Stack Overflow someone reported a similar error and the response was

Django 3.0 supports PostgreSQL 9.5 and higher. You are getting that error because you are using an earlier version of PostgreSQL that does not support ON CONFLICT.

To resolve the issue, you could either upgrade PostgreSQL, or downgrade to the latest Django 2.2.X, which supports PostgreSQL 9.4 and higher.

So, do you have a timeline for upgrading to PostgreSQL 9.5 or higher, or should I start the process of downgrading to Django 2.2? According to the Postgres console here in PythonAnywhere, the current version is 9.4.25 (server 9.4.22).

Seeing as I am browsing the forums I feel I should add - my local dev environment is using Django 2.2 precisely so that I can maintain compatibility with python anywhere and it's PostgreSQL. This is not a problem, but I am wondering how long it will be before it is.

We could upgrade your Postgres to version 12, but that would also require a system image update to the latest one.

Note that switching to the new system image may break some of your existing code that worked on older versions. You may need to recreate any virtualenvs that you're using and you will need to start new consoles and reload your web apps. You will also need to kill any ipython notebook processes that are running by using the "Fetch processes" button on the Consoles page.

There will also be at least a 10 minute downtime on the database as we migrate the data and it could be longer depending on the data in your database.

@fjl, I'm all for the system image upgrade with the Postgres 12.

I'm still in an experiment mode so possibly breaking something for an upgrade (Postgres) seems better than for a downgrade (Django).

Ok. Send an email to support@pythonanywhere.com to let us know a good time for the migration. We can do it any time between 11am and 6pm UTC on a weekday.