Forums

Delete a MySql database

I'm using these commands in a fresh new mysql console (no other consoles opened):

use asd1$asdasdas

Database changed.

then

drop database asd1$dbname

I get no results and nothing happens.

I found the solution myself as always.

Just open bash console.

Write command:

mysql -uUSER -hUSER.mysql.pythonanywhere-services.com -p

drop database USER$DATABASENAME

instead of USER put your pythonanywhere username, same thing for DATABASENAME.

Yes, that's right. You can also skip the first step -- running the mysql command -- just by going to the "Databases" tab, then clicking on the database name there. That will start a MySQL console where you can run the drop database command.

I was having the same problem but this helped me a lot! Thanks!! :D

doesn't seem to work for me

What commands did you run, where on PythonAnywhere, and what errors did you see?

Hi Conrad, I tried it in bash and in MySQL. Both times I didn’t receive any errors. It just indented with an arrow drop database USER$DATABASENAME -> Not sure what I was meant to do after that? But the databases are still listed in the database tab. Thanks

you are probably missing a ";"

(42000): Access denied for user 'heruko'@'%' to database 'heruko$default' i get this message plz help me

where did you get this message? (eg: from your webapp, from your local machine)

drop database USER$DATABASENAME i have tired this many times . instead of user i put my pythonanywhere username but showing you have error in sql syntax so please help me .. i want to delete my database

drop database USER$DATABASENAME i have tired this many times . instead of user i put my pythonanywhere username but showing you have error in sql syntax so please help me .. i want to delete my database

That drop database command shouldn't be giving a syntax error. Are you sure that's what you're typing? Are you using a ; at the end of the command?

The command below kept prompting for the password. I wanted to drop the table because it kept prompting ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user. The password on .my.cnf won't change. mysql -uUSER -hUSER.mysql.pythonanywhere-services.com -p

I found my mistake. Missed the " ; "

Cool. Glad to hear it.

drop database *username$databasename*; worked for me. thanks!

This worked for me

drop database username$databasename;

bash: drop: command not found

bash: drop: command not found

It looks like you're using a bash shell to run a SQL command. You can start a MySQL console from the databases tab by clicking on one of your database names.