Forums

My web app shows the 'coming soon' site on site with 'www.' prefix, but doesn't on vanilla adress

So I bought a domain - I'm 100% noob developer, so bear with me.

In a nutshell, I've bought a domain of a form mywebsite.com If I put in the 'Web' tab the 'www.' prefix domain - then it works, but if I type the same adress without that prefix it doesn't (Also, the dreaded message shows up)

There is a problem with your domain name configuration. Take a look at the DNS setup section below for 
details. Be aware that DNS changes can take some time to propagate across the internet. The exact time they 
take will depend on your domain configuration, but it could be as long as a day.

If I put in the vanilla version, then it works, but the version with the 'www' prefix doesn't - no DNS error message though

I'm pretty much sure I screwed something on my hosting service, but I don't know what it is. In the main redirection menu that implicitly sets up a fixed Cname record I'm setting the 'redirect to the IP/host/URL' value to webapp1111.pythonanywhere.com (there is no second field as the help page suggest). The only other Cname recrd I've putted manually is the www.mywebsite.com to mywebsite.com and this didn't work - I've changed this just now to point my *.mywebsite.com to webapp.pythonanywhere.com: now it says on www.mywebsite.com can't find the DNS address of the server at all.

How can I make both websites point to the app?

Hello MatmaQ To you, both www.mywebsite.com and mywebsite.com are the same. However, the www is a subdomain of your website. You could have instead made it anothersite.mysite.com. Pythonanywhere hosts specific webapps for specific subdomains/domains. Because on your webapp panel has mysite.com, pythonanywhere will only serve that particular webapp to mysite.com, not any other subdomain (not www, not anothersite, just the naked domain).If you would like to serve your website at the www subdomain, you have three options:

• You can redirect www users to the naked domain, so your mysite.com will only work.
  • If you prefer the www domain, change the domain in the webapps panel to www.mysite.com and redirect mysite.com to the www domain.
  • Last but not least, you can buy another webapp and host both www and the naked domain seperately, with seperate web workers.