Forums

IP Address

My domain registrar is requesting for my IP address and on my dashboard, I can't see any IP address, please which address do I give to them? I researched and got pythonanyhwere IP address, should I use it?

You can if you like, yes, but we don't officially support IP addresses as a way of routing web traffic. You should use a CNAME -- more info here:

https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/OwnDomains

Hi what should you input for your A record on godaddy if you host with pythonanywhere?

No, use the CNAME as described in the link that @harry posted.

please i really need a to get the ip address to feed into a device that does not support name, how do i go about it

What kind of device do you mean? What would it use the IP address for?

Hi, I am using a message broker (rabbitmq) to receive messages from my website (hosted here). It requires the IP address of the 'sender' i.e. my website. How would you be recommend seeing that and is it static?

It is not static. It's changing quite often. You may use https://www.ipify.org/ from inside your webapp's code to get the current one. You need then find a way to tell rabbitmq to whitelist that ip. (by API ?)

Hello , I have my domain registered with godaddy , I already tried Putting CNAME record and it is only working for a single link . Godaddy excutive told me to put the IP address of the hosting website in the A record , which currently has 'parked' . Please tell me what to put in the A record

That sounds like you have not set up a CNAME and instead have set up a redirect of some sort. If you have a parked A record, you need to remove it. See our help pages for more details: http://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/DNSPrimer/ and http://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/TroubleshootingDNS/

If I understand from all the above, Python do not issue IP address to complete A records?

That's right -- you need to use a CNAME record instead, which is equivalent to an A record but does not require an IP address. This help page explains the difference.

I have already read the documentation and is really bad that we can't use only our domainname.com because it doesn't support IPv4, nobody writes www.domainname.com anymore, and even the CNAME does not redirect for IPv4 either. I'm pretty upset about it!

I'm a bit confused about what you mean by "the CNAME does not redirect for IPv4 either" -- could you clarify?

In order to set things up so that people can use domainname.com rather than www.domainname.com, you need to follow the instructions on this help page.

Hello,

What should we write to CNAME? Do you have any experimental photo how can we set CNAME in godaddy?

This help page has a link to the GoDaddy help page that explains how to set up a CNAME.

i read this article, maybe twice but "yourdomain.com", "domain.com", "www.yourdomain.com" is really confusing for not native english speakers. I guess you need make video tutorial about that...

Hello, I would like to add my custom domain to my webapp. I think I already did neccessary in my web tab - I have CNAME generated BUT...

I have contacted support team where I bought the domain and they say they cannot set up a domain in CNAME method. They ask: In this case, please find out from this service provider what DNSs to set up for the domain to direct to their server.

They say that they can only change DNS.

What to do?

Thanks Kamil

@akhmadakhmedov you're quite right that it was confusing that in some places we used "domain.com" and in others we used "yourdomain.com" -- I've fixed that, and many thanks for pointing that out. However, I don't think we'll ever be able to do videos for this -- there are hundreds of domain name providers out there, and they frequently change their user interfaces, so it would be impossible to keep an accurate walkthrough current. However, hopefully the corrections that I've made to the page will make things a little clearer.

@whyduck which domain name registrar are you using? Almost all of them do support setting up CNAMEs, but sometimes their tech support teams don't understand this.

Hi, I bought the domain only at cyberfolks.pl. I think what's why those redtrictions. In my domain panel I do not have nothing but change dns and this is the only thing I can do there at this price. - 3€/year

@whyduck Take a look at their help page https://cyberfolks.pl/pomoc/zmiana-rekordow-dla-domeny/ It looks like you can edit your dns records, including CNAME

fjl, I just checked that. vps package is not available to me. I have talkted to their support as I said only dns change is allowed for me. They directioned my to do it via cloudflare.

I have sent a mail to support@pythonanywhere.com with my query. please support. Thanks Kamil

Hello everyone,

I did it, set my CNAME. Here i will explain, maybe it will help someone. I bought my domain from godaddy.com.

Type: CNAME Name: www Value: webapp-1002331.pythonanywhere.com First i wrote value like this : webapp-xxxxx.pythonanywhere.com, but till later pythonanywhere automatic give me individual this one, and then i change from godaddy.com. Then i finished my deploy, now everything is ok.