Forums

Building C source

I am trying to build some C software (unrelated to Python) but I see that there are many libraries and utilities missing, for example GLIB, cmp, pkg-config, ar... Are you planning to make the build environment more useful in the near future? Are we supposed to build everything from source?

We plan to have a full C/C++ compilation environment available in the medium term. Is the package you're trying to build open source? If so, we'd love to know what it is so that we can test the next version of our setup.

We don't expect everyone to build stuff from source -- one nice thing about PythonAnywhere is that we have a lot of stuff already installed and ready to use -- but we do want it to be a possibility for those who need it.

Hi,

My question is similar to the one asked, i want to build tesseract from source (there are a couple of things i cannot do with pytesseract), is there any chance thats possible? (it needs a long list libraries and tools like g++, leptonica, imagemagick, libtiff, libjpeg, libpngautoconf, automake, cmake, libtool etc)

Thanks!

I think we have most of those, I recognise all of them aprt from leptonica, so it's definitely worth trying...

Let us know how you get on? If you think it'd be of general use, then we'd love to borrow some notes and build tesseract into the standard image one day...

Sure, i'll keep you posted once i try it out. Thanks!