Forums

Process running out of control? Help!

Hi,

I believe that one (at least) of my scripts might be running out of control, as it has been sending emails all night long even when I don't have any consoles running. Before going to bed I even deleted the .py file I thought was responsible for this, but somehow the script is still running.

Now I have no .py files at all on the server (deleted all of them) but I can still see my CPU allowance seconds going up.

The "ps" command does not work... is there a way to kill all my processes or see if there is something running?

Thanks a lot!

Maybe you could change the password on the email a/c you're sending from, just to stop the emails?

Hi there, it does rarely happen that a process gets disconnected from any consoles and still keeps running. Usually it happens when people hit the "Save & Run" button lots of times in quick succession.

I've killed all your currently running processes.

Re: deleting .py files, that wouldn't work I'm afraid -- once a script is running and in memory, it usually doesn't need the python file any more!

Thanks a lot for the help. I did not change the email password as I'm still testing the script and all the messages were being redirected to me, but it was quite strange to have the process still running.

So would it be better to just run "python2.7 whatever.py" next time, and then finish the process in the console as well?

Thanks again.

That will work reliably. Another way which we think is equally reliable is to type Control-C into the "Save and Run" console before closing it. Both of those techniques should send the right kind of termination signal to the process to make sure it's killed.