Forums

Setting up my Django Databases but Bash Console won't let me enter a password.

I'm a beginner with computer languages, so please forgive me if I'm incorrect with any of my terminology. I've been following the excellent PythonAnywhere Django Tutorial and I came to the point where I needed to enter python ./manage.py syncdb into the Bash Console, and I've set my username and email address, but now it's asking for me to set a password and it seems simple enough, right? But for some reason the console doesn't allow me to type anything into it at this point. I was perfectly able to type just a line above for my email address, but I can't type the password. I can enter a blank password, but it just returns with "Blank passwords aren't allowed" afterwards, and it asks again for the password. Help, please? I'm sorry if I've left any vital information out.... Oh and while I'm at it, my webapp is in Python 3.3 and I'm using Django (obviously) for my... thingy (sorry, I don't know the terms all too well yet). Thanks, especially for such an amazing server with really great tutorials! It seems like everything online is written as though the reader already has a bachelor's degree in computer science, but your tutorials are much easier to comprehend!

Your password is not displayed as you type it to prevent shoulder surfing and so there is a second request to confirm the you didn't mistype. If you type both correctly, it should continue.

Oh, thanks! I was unaware of the invisible letters. Boy now I feel silly.

No reason to feel silly. We have all been new at some point!!

For that matter we're all new at something...but not all are willing to face what we are new at. You are and that makes you awesome...☺

+1 to that.

If you're used to the now-standard * for hidden characters in password fields then the old-style Linux "print nothing at all" behaviour is counterintuitive to say the least.