Forums

desktop-like UI these days? no Flash

most apps are mobile-first, but what if you want to build a desktop-like UI? kind of like pixlr.com/editor (Flash) with a lot of rich functionality that is clearly not for a mobile device? is there a popular, easy way to get started or do you just start cobbling together jquery and so on?

There are a number of options. React and angular seem to be the most popular ones these days, but the world of Javascript moves quickly so there may be new ones that I'm not aware of.

Thanks a lot. I started looking at angular recently. React could be handy as well.

I think I'm coming to the realization that I don't necessarily need much JS (I hope!!!) and I mostly just need to get a lot better at CSS. The behavior of my app should mostly be based on server-side logic in Python. Ideally. :)

That's definitely doable! Check out Bootstrap for a package containing useful CSS stuff to get you started.

I like Bootstrap (experienced a bit of that in the Python Flask scratchpad tutorial right here). Will probably keep the responsiveness to desktop/tablet and avoid mobile so I may be able to use minimal Bootstrap, too (I hope). Will try to keep things super minimal and easy like Python and Flask. :)

+1 for some minimal use of bootstrap. (but if you want to be super light weight / work with mobile stuff more / have a lot more interactions then angular/react)