Forums

problem with cloning from git via SSH

So I go to a school that give us an enterprise version of the GitHub.com (more info)

On my own computer, I've followed the steps on github to generate keys and experience the following behavior:

ssh -T git@gits-15.sys.kth.se
Enter passphrase for key '/home/finbel/.ssh/id_rsa': 
Hi oregan! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

and

git clone git@gits-15.sys.kth.se:oregan/webcook.git
Cloning into 'webcook'...
remote: Counting objects: 57, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (49/49), done.
remote: Total 57 (delta 4), reused 57 (delta 4), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (57/57), 158.25 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4/4), done.
Checking connectivity... done.

Following the same steps in the console on pythonanywhere (getting the key through opening the file and copy pasteing instead of xclip) I experience the following behavior:

ssh -T git@gits-15.sys.kth.se
ssh: connect to host gits-15.sys.kth.se port 22: Network is unreachable

and

git clone git@gits-15.sys.kth.se:oregan/webcook.git
Cloning into 'webcook'...
ssh: connect to host gits-15.sys.kth.se port 22: Network is unreachable
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Am I missing something? My .ssh folder on my computer has a known_hosts file that isn't in the ssh-folder on pythonanywhere but I can't find any reference to it in the github guide so I'm currently assuming that it shouldn't be the problem.

I think that's because for free accounts, you don't have unrestricted external access, and can only access a whitelist.

Ah, that would explain it. For some reason I thought this block was only in the deployed code and not in the terminal or that there was some special case with git. Thank's so much for the answer!

Was this ever resolved? Did you find a workaround?

It's the problem for the free users only. Any new domain has to be whitelisted (meet public api criteria and be potentially useful for other users).