Forums

Problem with scheduled tasks

Hi, I have a problem with my scheduled tasks. Two processes that were supposed to be completed earlier today are "currently running" but cannot be killed. It also appears that the hourly task option doesn't work for me anymore.

This appears to be a known issue on the PA system, because the scheduled tasks need to connect to the filesystem via NFS. This can sometimes cause problems when trying to lock files, for example via sqlite. Are you trying to do something like that?

Yes, was trying to write to a sqlite database in web2py. Cannot schedule any tasks now.

Same error here : when I access to the "Schedule" tab, I get an error : "Error fetching list of running scheduled tasks."

Yes, don't use sqlite over nfs. This is a known sqlite issue, and I really think that PAW should list it in the known issues so that people don't fall for it.

Looks like there may be a problem with one of our scheduled task servers. I'm rebooting it.

Should be fixed now. We'll investigate the cause more closely when we're back in the office on Monday.

OK, so it looks like there's something going wrong periodically with one of our schedule task servers. Best guess is that someone recently created a scheduled task that behaves oddly and is causing other processes on the server to hang. For clarity: we don't think it's malicious, just that it's something that's interacting badly with our virtualisation mechanism, which implies a bug on our side. We're trying to narrow it down to a specific task so that we can work out what the problem is.