Forums

Coding Interface Suggestion

Hi guys--gotta say i love coding on pythonanywhere. So nice not having to deal with cloud saves of my files, local environments, etc. I set it up once and can work from anywhere hassle free.

I actually just got a laptop to code on, and it made apparent a feature i feel is missing.

The ability to expand the code area.

When you're at a 1366 x 768 or lower resolution, with two browser windows side-by-side, this becomes apparent. The header and footer areas of PA take up a lot of screen real estate as you will see in the image below.

It'd be great if there was a button which would expand the coding area to consume the entirety of the browser window, or at least a corner where you can manually drag the coding area to be larger.

See: http://files.scottyshideout.com//files/1/Capture.PNG

That's all, thanks!

Hm, that is weird. There's some kind of CSS jiggery-pokery going on there, that's making that header take up more space than it should...

We're probably not going to be able to fix up the UI in the immediate future. In the meantime, you could have a play with changing the page's font size (with ctrl+shift+minus and plus). Be warned that changing the default font size sometimes causes problems in consoles, so if you see anything weird, use ctrl+0 (zero) to reset back to the default font size...

Thanks for the reply. I have used the scaling options in my browser to get as much screen real estate as I can while still being able to read the code.

You're right about the layout mixing up--when the menu is replaced by the button, the entire header takes more space which shouldn't be happening. Hopefully you can pass this on to your web team.

Aside from that, i really do think that a "expand" button would be amazing and used by many.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion! I've put it on the to-do list with a "small amount of work for a big win" flag.

I could +1 this. Not a major change, but definitely worth looking at. In fact:

$('.navbar,#id_dummy,#id_footer').toggle()

.Prob want to resize the ide area too cause it looks like you are manually inline styling that.

( still want tabbed file browser too :) )

Nice, thanks for that! I've put that code into the ticket.