Forums

Backup Options

Hi, i don't know if this is the right place to ask, but, i'd like to know which plans (including paid ones, of course) offers backup solution. For example, if i erase a file by mistake, or if i just want to backup my files in a regular basis.

Right now our backups are entirely to make sure that your data is safe against hardware failures. Adding some kind of user-accessible archives of old data is something we may add in the future, though -- I've added an upvote on your behalf.

This might work. Connect your dropbox account to PA. Write a script that will zip your app folder with a time-stamp and then push it into dropbox via the dropbox folder. Run this script daily or weekly using Scheduler tab. If you mess up your app, you can download the latest zip and replace your app folder with it.

Edit 1: By the way, I can't seem to read the README.txt file inside my Dropbox folder.

Edit 2: Read the file using bash. Still can't directly open it.

Thanks, vivekannan -- that's an excellent suggestion.

Re: the README.txt -- the link for a file in the file browser normally tries to put it in the editor, but because the file is read-only, it's not editable, so we don't show a link. You can read it by clicking the little "Download" icon to the right. Agreed that that's not totally intuitive, though. Perhaps read-only text files should have a link, but one that takes you to a non-editable view of the file rather than the editor -- what do you think?

Probably good for other items as well. I know I have some items with non-standard names and thus they don't have the ability to open in the editor, but if they did they would display as text fine. This read-only view would be good for the unknown/indeterminable case.

Another work around besides downloading is to use a console to view. I do most of my work on PA in an ssh console, so I end up using various tools nano is great for people that aren't very experienced with a unix environment. Try nano FILENAME.EXT and you can read any other file that doesn't show up for some reason.

@PA: While we're talking about the display of files on the Files tab...How about adding a check-box for . (dot) files? You can choose whether it is on or off by default, but I would be inclined to have it unchecked by default. I know in my case it would get rid of a lot of clutter when not needed.

@giles The non-editable view sounds good. Maybe a image viewer as well? Something that allows us to view the common formats like jpeg, png? I am thinking of using PIL so a image viewer would be awesome.

@a2j thanks for the suggestions! I've added them to our list.

@vivekannan we could definitely make the filename link to those. Right now you should be able to view PIL images in the browser by clicking the "download" icon to the right of the filename, though -- give it a go, and let me know if it doesn't work.

@giles: My pleasure...☺

~a2j

Sorry, have written to the wrong topic.