Forums

Pricing and Features on PythonAnywhere

The following questions is related to the Hacker plan option offered by Pythonanywhere.com

1)I would like to know if the disk space being offered for the hacker plan is the disk space separate from the file storage and database storage?

2)Can I configuration my Django Project to store/upload files to my MEDIA_ROOT directory that is found on an external source like dropbox,github etc?

Thank you.

@MOC: Your questions are a little uncertain to me since you currently don't have a Hacker plan, but mention it in your set-up of asking questions, so I will answer with the assumption that you are considering an upgrade to Hacker based on the answer to your questions. Thus my answers apply to any PA paid account...

1. Yes, it is separate. You can see they expect your DB usage to be in-line with your account specs though.
  2. Paid accounts have NO restrictions on outbound internet access. They do not go through the proxy like the free accounts do.

If I have somehow failed to understand or I ended up raising more questions than answers. Please be as specific and clear as possible as to what you are trying to figure out and someone will be sure to help you out...☺

~a2j

Yes I am planning to upgrade to hacker plan. Could you also provide an example as to how you could configure the settings.py file for a Django Project to use an external source(github,dropbox) to store/upload files. I Hope this was clear enough.

Thank you

A slight clarification of what a2j says above:

1)I would like to know if the disk space being offered for the hacker plan is the disk space separate from the file storage and database storage?

The disk space listed for each plan is the file storage -- that is, the stuff you can store in /home/yourusername, /tmp, and so on. It doesn't include web application logs (which are limited to a week's worth). It does include stuff you've shared using Dropbox, but that's not strictly enforced -- there's a process that does a regular scan looking for oversized Dropboxes and we will unshare anything that's too huge, though normally we'll warn you first

2)Can I configuration my Django Project to store/upload files to my MEDIA_ROOT directory that is found on an external source like dropbox,github etc? Could you also provide an example as to how you could configure the settings.py file for a Django Project to use an external source(github,dropbox) to store/upload files. I Hope this was clear enough.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Do you want to use the external source for static files in the application? Or do you want to build a web app that allows people to upload files to GitHub or Dropbox? Or do you want to pull in the code for your application from Dropbox or GitHub? Or something else?

Yes I want to build a web app that allows people to upload files to GitHub or Dropbox. It would be nice to configure my Django Project/app to do this without having to do much code in the views.

Thank you

Hmm, I can't think of any way to get Django to do that for you -- I think you'd have to code it yourself in your views.