Forums

Consoles hanging

Hey there, I was asked to report the next time it happened.

I will just state again than I am aware that this is not the suggested method from you guys to run infinite looped scripts, so I am not complaining. I am very happy with my service here, just reporting what I was asked to report.

So I have about 19 consoles running, and I am using the "web dev" account.

I am currently not in the tarpit, and I am at 25% of my usage. ~3 hours ago all of my scripts stopped actually running, though they were open in the "your consoles" area.

To get 17 of the 19 running again, I just literally had to click on them in the "your consoles" area to bring them up to the foreground and they began running again. Someone had mentioned that that actually restarts them, but that is not happening for me at least, and would be weird if clicking on the script in the my console part where they are literally running would restart them.

It is as if they are literally frozen, and bringing them up from the background revives them. The output goes to a remote database, plus I have log files up the wazoo and I can see that it is not restarting when I click on them.

Two of them, however, just remain hung at the "loading console..." The remedy for them is to indeed restart them, but just going to the file and clicking on "save and run." Usually that may take a few attempts after waiting ~30 seconds @ the loading console... part.

I have yet to get around to it, but I fully plan to create a scheduled task to run a script to check if running and to restart if not, and I will just say again that I am very happy and aware that it is not suggested to run scripts in the fashion that I am.

We did have some trouble with one of the console servers earlier today. The restarting behaviour you describe is because (I assume) you started those consoles with a "Save and run", not by starting a console and typing a command. This would mean that after the trouble, your processes were not running, but that the command was re-executed when you went to view the console.

The "Loading console" message hangs around until we get the first output from a new process or until we've sent the old output from a running process to your browser, so it can take a while to go away.

Yeah I figured with the consoles since they all simultaneously went down.

Most of the restarting was only just clicking on the script in the "my console" area, and that got them going again. To fully restart a script though, I do indeed to "save and run."

As for the "Loading console," the scripts are constantly spitting out output to the console, so it was definitely hanging. Either they are parsing and spitting out that output, spitting out the time, or spitting out whatever other operation they are running, or notifying logs that they are indeed running.