Forums

Console not working

The message I get is "Loading console ..."

I'm on Mac OS X Mountain Lion trying it with latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

PA emailed about planned downtime happening this morning. I think it may be back soon though - check out www.twitter.com/pythonanywhere

Jim

Morning Daniel, welcome to the site!

So that's quite rare. And the strange thing is that our logs show you connecting quite successfully, and using websockets which is the optimum protocol. Could there be any kind of firewall between you and the servers? Or some kind of browser plugin that would interfere with websockets? Probably not on all 3 browsers I imagine...

If not, maybe try again now? We have just deployed some new servers.

You might also try opening a private browsing session and visiting a Gist console to see if anonymous sessions (ie ones not associated with your user account) work?

Try going back to the Dashboard and into your console again in a new window? works for me...

I've had my scripts seem to hang up in that spot too, I just hit save and run again, and it usually works.

Could also easily be a firewall blocking the connection.

If it is the only script you are running, run it, and then see if your seconds are increasing. Could also create a simple log file and output 'test' or something every few seconds to see if it is actually running to help in the debug process.

Good luck.

The two stages of starting a consoles are when it displays the "Connecting..." message at the bottom, which is when it's trying to connect back from the browser to the console server, and when it displays "Loading console" at the top, which is when it's connected to the server and the server is trying to connect to the backend process. If it's blocking on the second message, there could be something going wrong on our side -- so we'd love to know of any cases when that happens.

At least for me, the Loading console message gets stuck there usually on my 5th+ console. I figured at first it would just queue the process, but, once stuck, it seems like they never start. After a few tries of re-running them, they run no problem.

I never really reported my issue with it, since you guys already recommend against a bunch of concurrent scripts that run on constant loops.. so I figured it was no-man's land after ignoring your warnings :P

Hi Sentdex, that shouldn't ordinarily happen, even if you open loads of consoles. You might notice a delay if you're in the tarpit, but they should start eventually... Will you let us know if you see it happen again?

Sure, will let you know! I wasn't in the tarpit at the time based on my CPU seconds.

My console isnt loading... please help

We did have a brief outage just now, an unexpected side-effect of some patches we're applying to mitigate the Spectre/Meltdown bugs. Things should be back to normal now?