Forums

how to use python3.2

i created a file say test.py, and clicked "save & run". it ran in the python2.7, how to change it to python3.2.

sorry for my poor english.

[admin update 2014-11-24 -- we now support using hashbangs to choose the python version in Save&Run. More info here: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/wiki/SaveAndRunPythonVersion]

Hi there,

currently "Save & Run" always uses python2.7. If you want to use Python 3, you'll have to open a Bash console, and then type

python3.2 test.py

Assuming test.py is in the root of your home folder - you'll need to cd to the right directory otherwise.

You can use python3.2 -i test.py if you want to stay in interactive mode.

The other alternative is to open a Python 3.2 console (or, even better an IPython3.2 console), and do import test

Got it, thanks harry!

U guys did a great job

Wouldn't it make more sense just to read the #! at the top of the script and use the matching python version?

I assumed that would be the case, and put

!/usr/local/bin/python3.2

at the top of my script, but it still ran in 2.6

I'm planning to use pythonanywhere with some of my students this afternoon, and this clumsiness makes things just that little bit more difficult (not much, but they're only at the start of their Python journey, and any speed bumps are undesirable).

John.

Hi John,

recognising hashbangs for "save & run" is on our to-do list. I'll add an upvote on you behalf, and a couple of extra votes on behalf of your students...

+1 for this feature here too!

upvoted.

For completeness I wanted to add to this topic that hashbangs are now supported at 'save & run' just in case someone stumbles on this topic via search.

Thanks, a2j! We should keep a mapping from to-do list items to forums posts so that we can update them when they're done...

It sure is never ending isn't it?

Depending on the bug-tracking system you use, it might be possible to create a public-facing interface which allows people to see the progress directly.

Of course, you'd need to make sure it provides both public and private diaries and made sure everyone knows the difference - that confusion has been the source of a few bits of amusement for me over the years.

Certainly Roundup is pretty configurable to allow that sort of thing, although I don't know how much it does out of the box. Also, Fogbugz is a nice system, but pricey. I've worked with the Cerberus ticketing system in the past, but I found it to be less than friendly.

If nothing else, I'd suggest pasting a forum link as part of the bug description when you create the issue - at least that'll make it easy to find.

So, you don't like sticky notes then? Ah, yes, they don't share well over the Internet...☺

Also, we totally inspect the hashbangs of Python files now. Just in case anyone reading this didn't realise.

Someone really should have pointed that out sooner...☺